From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Bill wrote:

> Since Ubuntu Linux has apparently went the way of releasing
> buggy-as-hell software, I reluctantly installed Windows 7 on my PC. Much
> to my surprise, I find that Microsoft has released a free AV for Windows
> users.

Do you feel that Windows 7 is less buggy than Ubuntu Linux?

> The Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work rather well from what I
> have read, and from a personal opinion the interface is simple and
> functional.
>
> Anyone else using this product?

I read this somewhere...:
"Would you trust a security application written by the people who wrote
the operating system that needs it?"

--
-bts

From: Big 666 on
Bill wrote:
> In article <pan.2010.06.25.17.13.04.968347(a)example.invalid>, Beauregard T.
> Shagnasty says...
>
>> I read this somewhere...:
>> "Would you trust a security application written by the people who wrote
>> the operating system that needs it?"
>

> It's free, it works and let's face it. You have to be pretty much a nimrod to
> get your PC infected anyway.

It seems to be very good, and I doubt MS even wrote it, a 3rd party
vendor maybe.

<http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html>

It's just like MS had to turn to someone to better protect the Vista and
Windows 7 O/S(s).

<http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/11/nsa_microsoft_windows_7.html>
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/08/AR2007010801352.html>

I don't come to this NG much, but I do spend a lot of time in the MS
community NG(s).

What I don't see in the Vista or 7 NG(s) is users talking about I have
been hit by malware that much anymore. It's not to say that it doesn't
happen.

But before you say that Linux doesn't need the NSA help in securing the
O/S, it doesn't seem to be the case.

<http://www.nsa.gov/research/selinux/index.shtml>
From: FromTheRafters on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Since Ubuntu Linux has apparently went the way of releasing
>> buggy-as-hell software, I reluctantly installed Windows 7 on my PC.
>> Much
>> to my surprise, I find that Microsoft has released a free AV for
>> Windows
>> users.
>
> Do you feel that Windows 7 is less buggy than Ubuntu Linux?
>
>> The Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work rather well from what
>> have read, and from a personal opinion the interface is simple and
>> functional.
>>
>> Anyone else using this product?
>
> I read this somewhere...:
> "Would you trust a security application written by the people who
> wrote
> the operating system that needs it?"

It's cute, but doesn't really make sense.

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:05:48 -0400, FromTheRafters <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> It's cute, but doesn't really make sense.

Do you remember MSAV? Microsoft purchases an anti-virus program, but
fails to maintain it. Why would anyone expect anything different this
time?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:17:00 -0400, ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> So you're suggesting that people don't learn from past activities,
> and seek to correct and improve their efforts?
> Isn't that sort of what RaiD claims to have done?

I'm saying that some people don't, not all. In the case of m$, they
have a long history of not showing any change in their ability to
develop and maintain secure software.

In Dustin's case, he's demonstrated the change by his behavior.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: TT Livescan Update Info - 6-24-2010
Next: BD (simply put)