From: d_s_klein on
On Mar 3, 5:02 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> I've finally decided to buy a better simulator
> (I've been making do with Modelsim XE so far).
>
> Any thoughts as to the relative merits of Modelsim PE and
> Active-HDL (PE) for FPGA simulation?
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete

One complaint I have about Active-HDL is that it insists on making a
copy of the sources and hiding them in a not so easy to find
location. It will then simulate these, and only these copies. If you
change a file while simulating, you have to remember to copy it out.
If you change something between simulations, you have to re-import it.

This "feature" makes the simulator mostly useful only *after* all the
bugs are fixed. (argh)

The ModelSim windows GUI is definitely getting worse with time. The
Linux GUI seems to be getting better though.

RK
From: rickman on
On Mar 3, 5:42 pm, d_s_klein <d_s_kl...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 5:02 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
>
> > I've finally decided to buy a better simulator
> > (I've been making do with Modelsim XE so far).
>
> > Any thoughts as to the relative merits of Modelsim PE and
> > Active-HDL (PE) for FPGA simulation?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Pete
>
> One complaint I have about Active-HDL is that it insists on making a
> copy of the sources and hiding them in a not so easy to find
> location.  It will then simulate these, and only these copies.  If you
> change a file while simulating, you have to remember to copy it out.
> If you change something between simulations, you have to re-import it.
>
> This "feature" makes the simulator mostly useful only *after* all the
> bugs are fixed.  (argh)
>
> The ModelSim windows GUI is definitely getting worse with time.  The
> Linux GUI seems to be getting better though.
>
> RK

The copying of source files to a folder within the simulation
directory is the default, but you can override it. The "Add Files"
dialog box has a "Make Local Copy" checkbox which once you uncheck it,
seems to stay unchecked.

My most recent issue with ActiveHDL is how to copy a project. But I
finally figured out that "Save Design As" in the File menu does what I
want. Just "Save As" only seems to save the waveform file. I kept
looking under things titled "Workspace" which was not the ticket.

Rick
From: HT-Lab on

"d_s_klein" <d_s_klein(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Mar 3, 5:02 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> I've finally decided to buy a better simulator
> (I've been making do with Modelsim XE so far).
>
>One complaint I have about Active-HDL is that it insists on making a
>copy of the sources and hiding them in a not so easy to find
>location. It will then simulate these, and only these copies. If you
>change a file while simulating, you have to remember to copy it out.
>If you change something between simulations, you have to re-import it.
>
>This "feature" makes the simulator mostly useful only *after* all the
>bugs are fixed. (argh)
>

>The ModelSim windows GUI is definitely getting worse with time.

Yes, I found the same, however, when you install a new version of Modelsim the
registry keys are not overwritten so to preserve your GUI settings. I found that
deleting (or renaming) this entry fixes a lot of GUI instabilities. When you
restart Modelsim it automatically rebuilds them.

See: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Model Technology Incorporated\ModelSim

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: Raymund Hofmann on
On 3 Mrz., 14:02, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> Any thoughts as to the relative merits of Modelsim PE and
> Active-HDL (PE) for FPGA simulation?

What about Systemverilog support?

To my last evaluation Aldec still lags considerably behind Mentor and
thus wasn't a option to me.
From: cfelton on

>What about Systemverilog support?

That might be true, does anyone know what the level of SystemVerilog
support is in Active-HDL. Back in 2005 was using Modelsim-PE with
SystemVerilog fine, support all features I used then, class, interface,
etc. BOMK it has been expanded since then.

You can get 30 day eval of both (pretty sure). Might be worth trying out
unless there is a show stopper like SystemVerilog or multi-language
support, Active-HDL supports Verilog/VHDL without an extra license (i
think).

Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9