From: Paul on
James D. Andrews wrote:
> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been
>> on the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want
>> to see if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer,
>> I now get the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old.
>> Please try to get the latest modem driver"
>>
>> I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
>> disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the
>> modem is working and communicating.
>>
>> I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have
>> the latest.
>>
>> I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to get
>> me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.
>>

>> It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
>> search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.
>>
>> I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in the
>> future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides I'm
>> getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.
>>
>> My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads
>> and I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> Joe
>>

> If you can navigate the website of the modem manufacturer, you SHOULD be
> able to find the drivers you need available for download, though for older
> equipment, some manufacturers simply stop supporting and don't even include
> the model in their download section.
>
> You can also try www.driverguide.com
> This site carries a gazillion different drivers. You can sign up for a paid
> membership, or you can use the site free, but with limited access to
> drivers. However, most older equipment is available for free.
>
> Just checked and they do carry a couple drivers for that particular piece.
> Whether they are the most current or best for your system I can't say, but
> they are there.

The Broadxent site seems to be busted. It throws errors, once you get
a certain depth into the site. Either using the Support stuff, or even
looking at products. Maybe all the staff were fired or something :-)

http://www.broadxent.com/support/downloads.aspx?subcatid=588

The Creative site has a driver page, but from 2003. It is the bottom
link on the page. You have to check all of them, to figure that out.

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=7&CatName=&subCatID=42&subCatName=Broadband&prodID=9421&prodName=Broadxent+%26+DSI+Modem+Di3631

End result is this. 3,234,642 bytes

http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/COM/6979/DI3631WXPDrv.exe

Which, I guess is better than nothing.

Paul
From: - Bobb - on
how about choosing " roll back driver" in device details

From: Baron on
Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> If you don't use the modem, then take it out. You have broadband or
>>> some other form of high speed connection, the modem is useless. And,
>>> the driver is old and not supported anymore.
>>>
>> Same guy that told me to disable my floppy because I won't need it.
>> Came in very handy today to boot into Dos and do the Bios upgrade.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> Most machines sold today don't have a floppy drive, so odds favor you
> not needing it if you have one. You can boot to a bootable CD and get
> a DOS prompt. Odds favor your OS not being available on floppy, and
> not fitting the boot data onto a floppy if you wanted to create a
> bootable backup of your OS.
>
> The OP said that he does not use the modem AND the modem is causing
> him problems. Why keep legacy hardware that does not work anymore,
> especially when you can buy a new modem for virtual pennies and get a
> driver that works, or at least have support so you can _get_ drivers?

Have you tried to buy a dial up modem lately ? They are like getting
rocking horse muck...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: - Bobb - on

From: - Bobb - on
If still an issue for OP and he knows that it USED to work.
note the driver currently installed. ( how ? - see below and other than safe
mode -do that under XP)

Boot into safe mode
go into control panel - system - device manager - click communications -
click the modem ( drivers tab for what driver is installed), if the same
device has had 3 drivers installed then it should list 3 drivers/names. If
you know which is good - fine - then delete the other modems. If not , check
each to see which driver is installed for each. ONE of them is right - right
?
shutdown
reboot
It should find the device and offer a driver as well as others that are
compatible.

Unless windows DELETED/modified the original, the original should be listed
there as an option. Also note - it might be in the DRIVERS folder, not the
system folder etc. So knowing the name you WANT to find, do a search to see
what folder it is in first.
PS - It took longer to write this than it will take to do it, so don't be
intimidated by this.

"- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message
> how about choosing " roll back driver" in device details
>
> "Joe J." <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been
>> on the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want
>> to see if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer,
>> I now get the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old.
>> Please try to get the latest modem driver"
>>
>> I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
>> disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the
>> modem is working and communicating.
>>
>> I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have
>> the latest.
>>

>> I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to
>> get me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.
>>

>> It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
>> search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.
>>
>> I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in
>> the future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides
>> I'm getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.
>>
>> My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads
>> and I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>>

>> Joe

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4