From: LOL! on

This was an interesting find, growing on the remains of a burnt-stump after
a large forest fire devastated the mountain-pass it was found in. The coin
placed on it is a quarter, for a size reference.

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4846112569_f1b80f8ce8_b.jpg>

[After taking all artsy-fartsy shots, it's always advised to take a few
more typical snapshots while including some known object for size reference
for future documentation purposes. A little hint for you wannabe nature
photographers out there. I generally keep a small stack of metric and inch
rulers printed up on transparency material and waterproof papers in my
camera pack, inexpensive expendable rulers that can be quickly placed next
to any insect or plant for use against any colors or hues or lighting
situations.]

I safely know about 18 different wild mushrooms for their edibility, many
hundreds more for their toxicity. (One fun one that will only make people
sick if they also drink any alcohol after the meal. A good prank-'shroom.)
Reminding me of a favorite phrase, "There are two kinds of mushroom
hunters: smart ones ... and dead ones." I took about 1/3rd of this one (2-3
lbs.) for future meals for that week. Something that no cookbooks anywhere
will tell you, this variety of 'shroom has to be saut�ed for about 30
minutes before it becomes tender and succulent. It's not your average, heat
butter, fry it, flip it, eat it, type of 'shroom. Fried up with cut-throat
trout caught in a nearby stream it was most excellent.
<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/4846768170_11db88b89d_b.jpg> (This
time I had the luxury of a mobile base-camp in the form of a class-B
camper, which I also outfitted with solar-panels to power the digital
darkroom and wide-bed printer.)

Now let's watch all the desperately insecure, sheltered-life (basement
life), pretend-photographer DSLR-TROLLS hijack this thread too.

This is most amusing. You can't buy entertainment this good!

LOL!

From: LOL! on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:40:43 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lol.org> wrote:

>[After taking all artsy-fartsy shots, it's always advised to take a few
>more typical snapshots while including some known object for size reference
>for future documentation purposes. A little hint for you wannabe nature
>photographers out there. I generally keep a small stack of metric and inch
>rulers printed up on transparency material and waterproof papers in my
>camera pack, inexpensive expendable rulers that can be quickly placed next
>to any insect or plant for use against any colors or hues or lighting
>situations.]

In the event you have no ruler handy, paper currency works quite nicely
too. Like this one placed next to one of the (really fresh) largest
wolf-tracks I've ever run across during one of my lengthy photo-treks in
Canada.

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4847187452_4f650424b2.jpg>

But Grandma, what big feet you've got!

LOL!

This is just one paw-print, the largest, from about a dozen different
wolves that were milling around in that spot just before I hiked through
there. They made some nice designs in the otherwise undisturbed dirt with
their tracks that became interesting photos.

How much do you want to bet that everyone is going steal this image to keep
it and show to others without my permission, even in its greatly reduced
size and severely jpg-degraded quality. CONTENT MEANS EVERYTHING. Image
quality means NOTHING.
From: George Kerby on

On 7/31/10 11:40 AM, in article 9lh8565vfbh6oaujlsin5lluctcl7m88hg(a)4ax.com,
"LOL!" <lol(a)lol.org> wrote:

> This was an interesting find, growing on the remains of a burnt-stump after
> a large forest fire devastated the mountain-pass it was found in. The coin
> placed on it is a quarter, for a size reference.
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4846112569_f1b80f8ce8_b.jpg>

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........(snore).......zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZz
z...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....zzzzzzzzz.......(p-p-p-ph-h-h-a-a-a-r-r-rt-t-t).......
....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....(yawn)...zzzzzzzzzzz....

From: George Kerby on

From: Bowser on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:40:43 -0500, LOL! <lol(a)lol.org> wrote:

>This was an interesting find, growing on the remains of a burnt-stump after
>a large forest fire devastated the mountain-pass it was found in. The coin
>placed on it is a quarter, for a size reference.
>
><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4846112569_f1b80f8ce8_b.jpg>
>
>[After taking all artsy-fartsy shots, it's always advised to take a few
>more typical snapshots while including some known object for size reference
>for future documentation purposes. A little hint for you wannabe nature
>photographers out there. I generally keep a small stack of metric and inch
>rulers printed up on transparency material and waterproof papers in my
>camera pack, inexpensive expendable rulers that can be quickly placed next
>to any insect or plant for use against any colors or hues or lighting
>situations.]
>
>I safely know about 18 different wild mushrooms for their edibility, many
>hundreds more for their toxicity. (One fun one that will only make people
>sick if they also drink any alcohol after the meal. A good prank-'shroom.)
>Reminding me of a favorite phrase, "There are two kinds of mushroom
>hunters: smart ones ... and dead ones." I took about 1/3rd of this one (2-3
>lbs.) for future meals for that week. Something that no cookbooks anywhere
>will tell you, this variety of 'shroom has to be saut�ed for about 30
>minutes before it becomes tender and succulent. It's not your average, heat
>butter, fry it, flip it, eat it, type of 'shroom. Fried up with cut-throat
>trout caught in a nearby stream it was most excellent.
><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/4846768170_11db88b89d_b.jpg> (This
>time I had the luxury of a mobile base-camp in the form of a class-B
>camper, which I also outfitted with solar-panels to power the digital
>darkroom and wide-bed printer.)
>
>Now let's watch all the desperately insecure, sheltered-life (basement
>life), pretend-photographer DSLR-TROLLS hijack this thread too.
>
>This is most amusing. You can't buy entertainment this good!
>
>LOL!

For some reason, all of your photos linked to Flickr are unavailable.
I'm shocked.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: New photo