From: sanj on
Thanks Guys, Steve when you say 'Tag' what exactly does this mean? is this
done through VB?

How do you know what shape number you are refering to - is there something
you can click on to see the shapes property?

Also if was to purchase your StarterStep Plus will I need to make sure each
person presenting has it installed on their machines?

Thanks,

Sanj

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <Xns95FD773109777marcoNOSPAMloyolaedu(a)207.46.248.16>, David M.
> Marcovitz wrote:
> > I'm very skeptical, but I will take your word for it that you need to
> > keep it on one slide. Just to be clear, the two-slide solution will
> > likely take you a few minutes to implement while the macro solution
> > (unless you are already familiar with the basics of macros in
PowerPoint)

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <#Eoic1uEFHA.1348(a)TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Sanj wrote:
> Thanks Guys, Steve when you say 'Tag' what exactly does this mean? is this
> done through VB?

VB or VBA, yes.

Each Presentation, Slide or Shape has a Tags collection that consists of named
strings.

For example, given a reference to a shape in oShp, you could:

oShp.Tags.Add "TagName", "TagValue"

Then later

Msgbox oShap.Tags("TagName")

> How do you know what shape number you are refering to - is there something
> you can click on to see the shapes property?
>
> Also if was to purchase your StarterStep Plus will I need to make sure each
> person presenting has it installed on their machines?

StarterSet plus has a kind of object inspector that shows you (and lets you
edit) tags, the shape name and in some cases, link paths.

The tags and other properties it sets are part of PowerPoint itself ... once
set, they're part of the presentation, and your code running on any copy of PPT
can access them. No need for StarterSet to be present.

It's just like setting a shape's fill color to Blue. You can do it manually or
with code or an addin can do it, but any copy of PPT will still display the
shape's fill as blue.

Tags are the same; the only difference is that there's no user interface to
them other than ones we write for ourselves.

If all you need to do is set a few tag values, it's simple enough to code; we
can help you with that. Just ask ...

> Thanks,
>
> Sanj
>
> "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
> > In article <Xns95FD773109777marcoNOSPAMloyolaedu(a)207.46.248.16>, David M.
> > Marcovitz wrote:
> > > I'm very skeptical, but I will take your word for it that you need to
> > > keep it on one slide. Just to be clear, the two-slide solution will
> > > likely take you a few minutes to implement while the macro solution
> > > (unless you are already familiar with the basics of macros in
> PowerPoint)
> > > will likely take you a few hours to implement. Now that I've warned
> > > you...
> > >
> > > To get started, you will want to check out the Programming PowerPoint
> > > section of the PPT FAQ:
> > >
> > > http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/#PROGRAMMING_POWERPOINT
> > >
> > > Or you will want to check out my book about using macros in PowerPoint:
> > >
> > > http://www.loyola.edu/education/PowerfulPowerPoint/
> > >
> > > The basic thing you want to do is write some macros that show shapes and
> > > write some macros that hide shapes. For example:
> >
> > I'd probably go at it a little differently:
> >
> > Sub ToggleVisibility()
> > Dim oSh as Shape
> > For Each oSh in ActivePresentationSlideShowWindow.View.Slide.Shapes
> > If oSh.Tags("ToggleMe") = "YES" Then
> > oSh.Visible = Not oSh.Visible
> > End If
> > Next ' Shape
> > End Sub
> >
> > Then you'd tag each of the shapes you want to toggle with a ToggleMe = YES
> tag.
> > Our StarterSet Plus toobar (http://starterset.pptools.com) does this and
> > bunch of other useful stuff for the cost of a week's worth of lattes or
> so. Or
> > DIY:
> >
> > Sub ToggleTagMe()
> > Call ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange(1).Tags.Add("ToggleMe", "YES")
> > End Sub
> >

> > > Sub ShowMyShapes()
> > > ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Slide.Shapes(3) _
> > > .Visible = True
> > > ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Slide.Shapes(4) _
> > > .Visible = True
> > > ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Slide.Shapes(5) _
> > > .Visible = True
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Sub HideMyShapes()
> > > ActivePresentation.Slides(1).View.Slide.Shapes(3) _
> > > .Visible = False
> > > ActivePresentation.Slides(1).View.Slide.Shapes(4) _
> > > .Visible = False
> > > ActivePresentation.Slides(1).View.Slide.Shapes(5) _
> > > .Visible = False
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > But the details will all be very important and will depend on all the
> > > details of what you want to do.
> > >
> > > --David

> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> > PPTools: www.pptools.com

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

From: sanj on
Thanks Steve for your email, I got this working (I was placing the code in
the slide VB code instead of in a module)

Could I ask how can I set that shapes are always hidden when the show
starts, with the ToggleVisibility() code if you set it visible in a show
then end the show and restart it the shapes are then visible, I would like
them to be hidden always whenever the show starts.

BTW great product ( PPTools!)

Thanks,

Sanjay

From: David M. Marcovitz on
There are a few ways to go about this. My preferred way is to have a
button on the first slide that says something like "Get Started." This
runs a procedure that does all the housecleaning, including hiding all
the shapes that need to be hidden, initializing all the variables, etc.
Additionally, it jumps to the next slide with
ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Next. If you are in kiosk mode,
users have to click on this button to go on, so they are guaranteed to be
have this procedure run.

Another alternative is set everything up hidden and try to guarantee that
your presentation doesn't get saved while objects are showing. This could
be done with

ActivePresentation.Saved = True

in any procedure that changes things on the slides. This will fool
PowerPoint into thinking that the presentation is saved, so it won't ask
when you quit out of PowerPoint.

Finally, you can use an add-in to trap events and run your GetStarted
procedure when the slide show is open. This can work, but I believe it
only works on machines with the add-in loaded (not so great for stuff you
need to distribute).

--David
--
David M. Marcovitz
Director of Graduate Programs in Educational Technology

From: sanj on
Thanks David - I could you use the 'Get Started' looks like the most
easiest, is there not a 'onendshow' or 'onslideshow' in PowerPoint?

Regards,

Sanj