From: o///annabee on
P? 7 Apr 2006 22:01:36 -0700, skrev sevagK <kahlinor(a)yahoo.com>:

> Wow hutch,
> This is the most constructive post you've made to ala in my memory!
> What gives... Are you feeling okay?

:))

I actually liked it, upto the point where he claims readable means
readable for someone else.

"..a consideration of who has to read it the next time"

This is to me a bogus statement. If you write code that is readable and
maintainable to yourself, then it is automatically readable to someone
else. If not, you are so spesial, that you will
not be able to write code readable for someone else either, even if you
tried.

To write code to be readable to others is a very stange idea.
If you write it to yourself, and the style proves maintainable and usable,
it _IS_ by definition a good style, and it is valid to say that it will
also be readable and maintainable to someone else. They may have to learn
some intial new customs, but when they get a grip on the system, they will
read the code just as well as the one writing it.

From: hutch-- on
sevagK,

You are right, I am probably coming down with something but then, this
was the way the world was once before the assembler wars were started.
Don't spread it around in ALA but the rest of the world still works the
same way. :)

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

From: hutch-- on
Wannabee,

> This is to me a bogus statement. If you write code that is readable and
> maintainable to yourself, then it is automatically readable to someone
> else. If not, you are so spesial, that you will
> not be able to write code readable for someone else either, even if you
> tried.

You should not put too much effort into trying to sound sensible until
you have eaten that hat as no-one will believe you anyway. Now you will
suffer a further loss of intellect as you pass out the the hat with the
rest of your brains but on the bright side, it will clear your mind. :)

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

From: Betov on
"hutch--" <hutch(a)movsd.com> ?crivait news:1144471329.322565.166430
@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Some of the stuff in this thread is laughable

With yourself, - the Power Basic Programmer - and Randall Hyde
- the Flex, Bison and C clown - polluating the subject, indeed.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: hutch-- on
smile,

> > Some of the stuff in this thread is laughable
>
> With yourself, - the Power Basic Programmer - and Randall Hyde
> - the Flex, Bison and C clown - polluating the subject, indeed.

Betov, you will have to stop sobbing into your chardonnay and get used
to the idea that PowerBASIC is a far better assembler than you even
vaguely understand but then with its industry standard Intel notation,
it can be ported to and from TASM, MASM, GAS, VC, POASM and probably a
few others as well.

Now just make sure you don't mix the grapes of wrath with that warm
glow that regularly flows down your legs or it may peel the skin off.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com