From: Betov on
"hutch--" <hutch(a)movsd.com> ?crivait news:1144486069.536851.195020
@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Betov, you will have to stop sobbing into your chardonnay and get used
> to the idea that PowerBASIC is a far better assembler than you even
> vaguely understand but then with its industry standard Intel notation,
> it can be ported to and from TASM, MASM, GAS, VC, POASM and probably a
> few others as well.

Thanks for existing: Without clowns like you,
the world would be too sad.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: hutch-- on
smile,

> Thanks for existing: Without clowns like you,
> the world would be too sad.

I can't return the thanks, the world would be too happy. :)

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com

From: James Daughtry on
hutch-- wrote:
> Anyone can write any code they like and if they can read it, fine but
> to argue from the "I like it this way" to "this is a good idea" is
> simply nonsense, readable code is not a mechanical theory of layout but
> a consideration of who has to read it the next time. The value
> judgement of its readability is not the author but the reader and here
> jumbled piles of junk have a very bad track record.

I find it interesting that you, and Randy it seems, assume the author
*won't* be the reader. If you write code with something you find
awkward just to placate other people, what happens if *you* turn out to
be the next person to maintain the code a year later? On the other
hand, if you write code in a consistent and logical style, anyone can
figure it out with minimum effort, including you.

As an example, I wrote a component and promptly forgot about it. Then,
about three years later, I was faced with the same component. Much to
my shock, it used a completely different style than I enjoyed at the
time because I had changed my preferences, as most people do. But I had
no trouble getting used to the awkward style because it was consistent.

The only times I've had issues maintaining other people's code are when
the code didn't use a consistent style, or the style was exceptionally
illogical and I couldn't figure out why something was done the way it
was.

Anyway, code is only written once. A good maintainer will maintain the
style because not doing so breaks consistency. Even if you write for
the next person, the person after that may find your style horrible.
Formatting is very much a holy war. Everyone has a different opinion,
and they're all happy to force their opinion on others.

On the topic of multiple statements per line, I'll readily admit that
people think it's bad style. I'll also admit that people think other
things I do are bad style, even if the majority thinks those things are
good style. If I try to write code with a "perfect" style that everyone
agrees with, I'll never get anything done. So I find a happy medium in
consistency and logic so that people can at least figure out my style
with relative ease. :-)

From: o///annnabee on
P? Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:38:58 +0200, skrev hutch-- <hutch(a)movsd.com>:

> Wannabee,
> You should not put too much effort into trying to sound sensible

Its no effort for me Hutch. I am sorry that you feel this way.

:)

From: Jim Carlock on
Read the paraphrased message below...

Randall Hyde ?crivait:
> ...a lot of people care...

"Betov" <betov(a)free.fr> replied:
> There are more nerds than Assembly Programmers,
> arf arf.

What's all the barking about? Want a Betov treat?

/ p ? . \
| . o Betov Bonez ? |

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.