From: Nix on
On 27 Aug 2008, Daniel James spake thusly:

> In article news:<87bpzf3vk9.fsf(a)hades.wkstn.nix>, Nix wrote:
>> I don't actively cool hard drives anymore. (It's a noisy powersucker to
>> do so in any case.)
>
> The Icy-Box trayless SATA enclosure in this box make no perceptible noise
> .. the whole box is essentially silent (certainly much more so than the
> ReadyNAS). Yes, the fan must draw a few hundred mW ...

Looks like I should get one when I upgrade to a machine with SATA. (My
newest machine is seven years old. Yes, I know.)

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<313030303737303648B5E26D66(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>, Johnny B
Good wrote:
> I must admit, a room thermometer is not particularly high on most folks
> "Must Have" list (myself included :-)

Quite!

I'll keep my eye open for one ...

Your points about needing to know the ambient temp as a baseline are well
made (and well taken).

> A cheap room thermometer, accurate to +/- 2 deg C should suffice to
> provide this information. If you can get one that's accurate to within
> +/-1 deg F, that would be even better. Any better accuracy than that is
> not really required.

Hmm ... there is an old mercury barometer (was my grandfather's) in the
hall -- that has a thermometer that reads in def F -- but I think I'll
leave it in the hall where it can look pretty and where any mercury
vapour that may possibly emanate from it has a relatively easy escape
route (my study relies on a Velux skylight).

> Sorry, I forgot it was a 'Ready Made' NAS box. I'm so used to the joys
> and freedom of "DIY" solutions, I just assumed you'd be able to dive in
> with "drill and tinsnips" to 'hack out' a better cooling arrangement.
> :-)

Yeah, ready-made wasn't my ideal choice, but the price and the timing
were right. I may do the custom-built thing another day.

> Well, between the 'Made in China' issue and the 'Maxtor Factor', I can
> see Seagate having a rough time of it over the next year or two.

<grin>

I recall Odie reporting quite a lot of failures across the range of
modern Seagate drives (he didn't say which actual models) not just the
Chinese ones. I have quite a few Seagate drives but this is the only
Chinese one, and so far the Thai and Singaporean drives have been no
trouble. Still: quite a lot of failures for Odie still represents a
pretty small percentage of drives failing in use -- it's just that Odie
usually only gets to see them when they do go.

> I fell in love with Samsung's Spinpoint drives a few years back when I
> discovered the joy of a silence (and low temperature operation) that
> initially marked them out from the competition at that time.

This Seagate is very quiet, more so than the Samsung. OTOH the Samsung in
the PC I'm using (which is a different model -- an HD501LJ, rather than
an HD502LJ) makes no noticeable noise (from within an Icy-Box trayless
SATA enclosure inside an Antec Solo).

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <313030303737303648B5E26D66(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>,
Johnny B Good <jcs.computersbutt(a)plugzetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I must admit, a room thermometer is not particularly high on most folks
>"Must Have" list (myself included :-), but unless you have the means to
>monitor room temperature (ambient, as far as electronic kit is
>concerned), all those temperature readouts on the critical parts of a PC
>have their value as a diagnostic indicator compromised.

At bit OT, but I got myself one of those IR spot thermometers a while
back when I started out building my own PBX/NAS/Router boxes just to
make sure that inside their fanless environment nothing was getting too
hot - since then I've used it on all sort of things... The one I have
is: (Hm. not in-sock anymore, but similar to)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223009&criteria=thermometer&doy=28m8

Gordon
From: jasee on
Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <313030303737303648B5E26D66(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>,
> Johnny B Good <jcs.computersbutt(a)plugzetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I must admit, a room thermometer is not particularly high on most
>> folks "Must Have" list (myself included :-), but unless you have the
>> means to monitor room temperature (ambient, as far as electronic kit
>> is concerned), all those temperature readouts on the critical parts
>> of a PC have their value as a diagnostic indicator compromised.
>
> At bit OT, but I got myself one of those IR spot thermometers a while
> back when I started out building my own PBX/NAS/Router boxes just to
> make sure that inside their fanless environment nothing was getting
> too hot - since then I've used it on all sort of things... The one I
> have is: (Hm. not in-sock anymore, but similar to)
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223009&criteria=thermometer&doy=28m8

Interesting but surely these things measure the temperature on the outside
surface of the box which is probably a lot cooler than inside?

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <EvCdnSn1ttbgnyrVnZ2dnUVZ8qXinZ2d(a)bt.com>,
jasee <jasee(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <313030303737303648B5E26D66(a)plugzetnet.co.uk>,
>> Johnny B Good <jcs.computersbutt(a)plugzetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I must admit, a room thermometer is not particularly high on most
>>> folks "Must Have" list (myself included :-), but unless you have the
>>> means to monitor room temperature (ambient, as far as electronic kit
>>> is concerned), all those temperature readouts on the critical parts
>>> of a PC have their value as a diagnostic indicator compromised.
>>
>> At bit OT, but I got myself one of those IR spot thermometers a while
>> back when I started out building my own PBX/NAS/Router boxes just to
>> make sure that inside their fanless environment nothing was getting
>> too hot - since then I've used it on all sort of things... The one I
>> have is: (Hm. not in-sock anymore, but similar to)
>>

>http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223009&criteria=thermometer&doy=28m8
>
>Interesting but surely these things measure the temperature on the outside
>surface of the box which is probably a lot cooler than inside?

Yes, they do, but I was running with the lids on, then removing it and
measuring immediately to try to get worst-case values. Maybe not that
scientific, but it seemed to satisfy me :)

I'm currently frowning over a new box with 2 x 1TB WDC "Green" drives
which are running at 50C surface temp (52 according to smartctl) which
is annoying as I think I'm going to have to re-position them.

Maybe I'd have been better off without it!

Gordon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Linux Laptops