From: Dave Liquorice on
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:23:00 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

> Maybe Linux-based RAID also allows you to increase volume sizes in
> that kind of way? Doesn't seem impossible to do.

Pretty sure it can. My server, running SME Server (probably overkill for
what the OP wanted which is why I haven't mentioned it), started off with
a single 20GB drive. I then added another 160GB drive and let the software
RAID1 sync the two disks. Take out the orginal 20GB disc, shift the new
160GB one to it's position (so you can boot from it), and bung in another
160GB disc and wait for them to sync. Followed by a few magic incantations
at the command line and my single disc 20GB server now has 160GB in
software RAID1.

Magic incantations for SME Server can be found on:

http://wiki.contribs.org/Raid

--
Cheers
Dave.

From: Bruce Stephens on
A J Hawke <givemespam(a)wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk> writes:

[...]

> I looked at the 'slug' a year or so ago and I forget what it was that put
> me off of it. However, this fella looks much more interesting to me:
>
> Linksys Network Storage System NAS200

Reviews suggest it's a bit slow. It also doesn't seem to support NFS.

Presumably that can be fixed since you can get the GPLed source for
the thing, but I'm not sure anyone's done so yet?

For whatever reason, I don't get the impression people have hacked
with it as much as with the slug.

[...]

From: Daniel James on
In article news:<87hc9kzunv.fsf(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk>, Bruce Stephens
wrote:
> > You might ... but the 1TB version of the box costs about twice
> > as much as the 500GB version and only has about �30 extra value
> > (in disk cost).
>
> Sure. That's likely another market segmentation thing (driven buy
> what they can get away with charging rather than cost).

Absolutely ... I was just quibbling with your "they only support up to
1TB disks, so you'd just buy those". I think they only sell the 500GB
version at a sensible price, so one might well buy that and upgrade to
1TB drives when one needed them (if one didn't already, that is) -- by
which time they'll be cheaper.

> Personally I'd have thought putting two nearly identical disks in a
> RAID-1 would be a bad idea ...

There's certainly a school of thought that says drives from different
manufacturers (or, at least, different batches) will have different
failure characteristics, and so are less likely both to fail at once.

Another way to look at it is that you can run your RAID-1 array for
(say) a month and then swap one drive out for a new one. That gives you
a backup and introduces a new drive that probably won't fail the same
month as the one you already have. Repeat as necessary.

This only works with RAID-1, of course.

> better to buy an empty one and put the disks (from different
> manufacturers, different batches, etc.) in yourself.

The ReadyNAS only seems to be available with one drive prefitted. You
can always buy a second drive of a different make.

> I was suggesting X-RAID doesn't buy you much for two disks, since
> JBOD/RAID-0 and RAID-1 provide more or less equivalent utility.

Oh, right. AIUI 2-disk X-RAID is roughly equivalent in utility to
RAID-1 -- it provides a mirror.

RAID-0 (striping) buys you a possible speed increase at the cost of a
very real decrease in data security -- there's no mirror. JBOD doesn't
even pretend that you might get a speed increase. These are not even
remotely equivalent to X-RAID.

> I agree X-RAID lets you upgrade the disks, but I'd guess you could
> use a USB-2 disk to back up the data if you went with a standard
> solution.

True ...

> Maybe Linux-based RAID also allows you to increase volume sizes in
> that kind of way? Doesn't seem impossible to do.

It must be possible to achieve -- manually, at least -- but I don't
know of tools that will do it on the fly. Not that that's a requirement
for me.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Daniel James on
In article news:<2objn5-4qq.ln1(a)small.buzzard.me.uk>, Jonathan Buzzard
wrote:
> My mini-ITX box draw 30W at the wall ...

Useful, thanks.

I've been eyeing the EN1200 ... but that is one of the more expensive
mini-ITX boards. What are you using for a case? (just out of interest)

That's better than any other general purpose system I've looked at, but
noticeably worse than some NAS appliances.

I've just been reading an article on the Netgear/Irfrant ReadyNAS DUO
which quotes around 27W at idle with two 500GB drives, and 12W with the
drives spun down.

> With the VIA Padlock crypto acceleration, I get some exceptional
> performance out of a 1.2GHz fanless box.

What does the incarnation of Padlock on that board do? They version I
have (on an M10000) has no acceleration for modular exponentiation,
which you would need for RSA or Diffie-Helmann but they were making
noises about adding a Montgomery multiplier circuit, or something
similar. Has that now happened (I've not been monitoring that)?

Is this all working under linux?

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: alexd on
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:59:40 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> In article news:<48a6b33a$0$629$bed64819(a)news.gradwell.net>, Alexd
> wrote:

>> The Debian packages make it easy enough.
>
> I'm using Gentoo ...
>
> The problem isn't getting the software installed -- that's all done --
> but I have some intractable problem with MySQL configuration the details
> of which escape me.

That's why I like Debian - dbconfig-common makes this kind of stuff a
walk in the park.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
16:53:39 up 36 days, 19:30, 2 users, load average: 0.33, 0.28, 0.13