From: Klunk on
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:57:22 +0000, alexd passed an empty day by writing:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:59:40 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
>
>> In article news:<48a6b33a$0$629$bed64819(a)news.gradwell.net>, Alexd
>> wrote:
>
>>> The Debian packages make it easy enough.
>>
>> I'm using Gentoo ...
>>
>> The problem isn't getting the software installed -- that's all done --
>> but I have some intractable problem with MySQL configuration the
>> details of which escape me.
>
> That's why I like Debian - dbconfig-common makes this kind of stuff a
> walk in the park.

Debian -and- Ubuntu (being Deb based) have done wonders for Linux and I
applaud them. How easy is it to install software for example. One short
line of text and your done. apt-get install <program>. That is utter
genius.

--
powered by Linux - bastardized by Window$ -
givemespam(a)wibblywobblyteapot.co.uk
From: F8BOE on
Daniel James wrote:

> In article news:<48a5fae1$0$15508$426a34cc(a)news.free.fr>, F8Boe wrote:
>> FreeNAS
>
> I've certainly looked at FreeNAS.
>
> FreeNAS is based on M0n0wall, which in turn is based on FreeBSD, and I
> know less about that than I do about linux.
>
> The FreeNAS site has a lot about what FreeNAS can and can't do ... but
> it doesn't say anything about whether it's possible to add packages
> that aren't part of FreeNAS itself -- such as a version control server.
> Can that be done (without extraordinary effort)?
>
> The FAQ entry:
>
> First and foremost FreeNAS was developed as a Network Attached
> Storage application, not a router, media server, etc. There may
> be future development streams, plug-ins, modules or patches to
> FreeNAS to make some other functions work, but not until the
> basic NAS functions are stabilised. If you have skills to do
> this, share your expertise, please.
>
> rather suggests I shouldn't hold my breath.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.

A "full" install of FreeNAS is an equivalent of a FreeBSD install and with
this config it is possible to add/compile packages as on every other Unix
system.

Ciao @+
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<48a84a62$0$629$bed64819(a)news.gradwell.net>, Alexd
wrote:
> That's why I like Debian - dbconfig-common makes this kind of stuff a
> walk in the park.

I quite like Debian too ... I started to use Gentoo partly as a learning
experience (as is LFS, but that seemed to require more knowledge of
linux than I had at the time just to ask the right questions) and
carried on with it because I liked the way Portage manages dependencies
/almost/ transparently (apt is pretty good, too) and partly because I
wanted to optimize my mini-ITX build as much as possible given the
modest hardware. I had previously used SuSe and Fedora and had run into
some problems that Gentoo just didn't seem to have.

In fairness to Gentoo I'll say that my troubles with MySQL configuration
are probably all of my own doing ... I vaguely recall that after a
system update I got a message telling me about some incompatibility
between the old and new versions and that I should change some aspect of
the MySQL setup ... I thought "yeah, later ... too busy now" ... and
when I actually came back to trying to /use/ MySQL there had been more
updates and I'd lost the instructions for changing the config and
couldn't remember what the issue had been anyway.

That's why I say a reinstall will probably fix it ...

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Daniel James on
In article news:<VA.000014b4.254136db(a)nospam.aaisp.org>, Daniel James
wrote:
> > I doubt it. Though X-RAID is "patent pending", so maybe the patent
> > application gives enough information to recover the data?
>
> Quite. I find that all rather offputting.

Though ... reading the manual for the ReadyNAS box online ... it seems
that you can choose to use real RAID-1 instead of X-RAID.

Decisions, decisions ...

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Charles Lindsey on
In <VA.000014a7.1fa82938(a)nospam.aaisp.org> Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> writes:

>So, I'm toying with four options.

>1. A NAS appliance. There are some that support samba and NFS and would
>meet my minimum requirement. These things generally run low-power CPUs
>(often ARM or PPC) so run at quite low power, which is good for
>cost/greenness but makes it harder to customize them.

>I might possibly, at some later date, play around with running modified
>firmware (these things mostly run some sort of linux, with a web
>interface for admin and some sort of bundled backup application) but I
>don't want to get into trying to cross-compile unfamiliar distros and
>reflashing unfamiliar hardware (possibly irreversibly) at this stage
>.. so realistically the NAS appliance route offers me just the minimum
>requirement.

If you are prepared to reflash a device and build up a system of your own
devising on it, then the Linksys NSLU2 (aka the "Slug") is a good start,
because there is a website http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ full of ready
compiled stuff to put up on it. Though I am sure you would want to invest
in a cross-compiler to add your own stuff later on.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(a)clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Linux Laptops
Next: I've finally snapped