From: Andy Leighton on
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:45:14 +0000 (UTC),
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:
> (But when I wur a lad, my 1st Linux box was a 66MHz AMD chip - ye gods
> it was slow compiling stuff compared to todays CPUs!)

Sheer luxury - my first was a 486sx25 with a tiny amount of RAM. Just
installing (from about 50 or so floppy discs) took hours.

--
Andy Leighton => andyl(a)azaal.plus.com
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
From: alexd on
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:03:43 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> I've got a VIA EPIA M10000 board in a Morex Venus 6... er ... the one
> before the current 669 model. It was built as a MythTV box but it
> actually gets used as a spare linux desktop and occasional TV - I never
> found the time to set up MySQL and MythTV on it.

The Debian packages make it easy enough. I would caution, however, that
MythTV can be a disappointment after the 'just works' functionality of
Kaffeine. The major advantage it's got over Kaffeine, IMO, is the ability
to schedule a recording through the web interface.

> Nor could I ever work out why a PVR application needs an industrial-
> strength RDBMS ...

MythTV is designed as a client/server app, so you stick tuner cards and
storage on the server node, and multiple clients can access them.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
11:54:44 up 35 days, 14:31, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.04
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <87myjdb5fl.fsf(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk>,
Bruce Stephens <bruce+usenet(a)cenderis.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> writes:
>
>[...]
>
>> I've built a few NASes in a Venus case -
>>
>> http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10542
>>
>> It has enough room inside and a nice big, but quiet fan at the back.
>
>The web page says "2 x 40mm rear mounted cooling fans" which doesn't
>sound encouraging. I guess you just don't use those, relying on the
>rather larger looking PSU fan?

You know what - it's been about 8 months since I last built one in that
box, and I can't really remember now. I've a funny feeling it just had
the one fan in it, however I may well have removed the 2 smaller fans
(I sometimes do and block the holes to force ventilation from front to
back) Just checked the order and it was definately a Morex Venus 669
case... They are quiet though and using WD drives they're almost cold
to the touch which always helps.

Gordon
From: Will Kemp on
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> (But when I wur a lad, my 1st Linux box was a 66MHz AMD chip - ye gods
> it was slow compiling stuff compared to todays CPUs!)

Oh no. Here we go...

I remember compiling a kernel on a 386 (in about 1996). It took over 24
hours and the kernel was tiny in those days compared to what it is now!

I'm so glad those days are long gone! ;-)

--
http://SnapAndScribble.com
From: Gordon Henderson on
Poking about one of my favourite hardware sites, I've just seen this:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12131

If it does what it says on the tin ...

Gordon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last