From: Cor on
I know Tom, but sometimes I wanna do it in another way

:-)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
DickGrier used his keyboard to write :
> Writing services in .NET is pretty easy, and (in my experience, which is
> somewhat limited) reliable. If the service has an real low-level (device
> driver interaction), then writing in C/C++ might make sense. Most service
> don't need this, IMO.

I'd always recommend C/C++ or Delphi for a service. There's no need to
drag in a 100MB+ dependency for what should be a teensy-eensy little
piece of code.

> Picking Java over .NET? I wouldn't. But, I don't have any evidence.

And I'd reject both, without hesitation.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Henning explained on 7/20/2010 :
> And almost right is still wrong ,)

Right!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tom Shelton has brought this to us :
> Karl E. Peterson has brought this to us :
>> I know you are speaking within the confines of the environement(s) you are
>> most familiar with.
>
> True - as are you I suspect.

I think I may be speaking from a bit wider perspective.

>>> Hmmm... In this case, it was the users that decided it was good for them.
>>> As a customer, would you rather pay for 460 hours of development or 120?
>>
>> 460.
>
> Figures....

Damn straight. For a system service, I want someone who cares about
more than just getting the job done quick. Generally, that sort of
quality construction costs more.

> Noticed you failed to address the stability issues. What I'm
> seeing here is argument for argument sake.

You may be arguing for argument's sake. I'm choosing not to
participate.

I offered A) my opinion, and, when asked, B) my rationale.

I just don't have time for whack-a-troll today.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tom Shelton on
Karl E. Peterson was thinking very hard :
> Tom Shelton has brought this to us :
>> Karl E. Peterson has brought this to us :
>>> I know you are speaking within the confines of the environement(s) you are
>>> most familiar with.
>>
>> True - as are you I suspect.
>
> I think I may be speaking from a bit wider perspective.

Maybe - but, you can only assume as you've provided no evidence to the
contrary...

>>> 460.
>>
>> Figures....
>
> Damn straight. For a system service, I want someone who cares about more
> than just getting the job done quick. Generally, that sort of quality
> construction costs more.

I care about quality construction. Getting the job done quicker does
not mean less quality, Karl. If that was the case you never would have
started using VB.

>> Noticed you failed to address the stability issues. What I'm seeing here
>> is argument for argument sake.
>
> You may be arguing for argument's sake. I'm choosing not to participate.
>
> I offered A) my opinion, and, when asked, B) my rationale.

Fine, I'm content to leave this alone. I understand your feelings and
perspective, wrong though they maybe :)

--
Tom Shelton

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last