From: John Navas on
Apple's iPad can shut down if it gets too hot, and Jacob Baltazar,
Claudia Keller, and John Browning are as mad as hell and aren't going to
take it anymore.

Those unhappy iPadders have filed suit against Apple � and they're
asking the court to elevate their claim to class-action status.

Their lawsuit, filed in the US District Court, Northern District of
California, alleges that "the iPad overheats so quickly under common
weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use either
outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."

Or not. As MacDailyNews reminds us, the iPad's "Important Product
Information Guide" advises, with tradition Cupertinian disregard for
both definite and indefinite articles: "Operate iPad in a place where
the temperature is between 0� and 35� C (32� to 95� F). Low- or
high-temperature conditions might temporarily shorten battery life or
cause iPad to temporarily stop working properly."

MORE:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/27/ipad_overheating_lawsuit/>

COMMENT: Shades of the fanless Mac.
From: News on
John Navas wrote:
> Apple's iPad can shut down if it gets too hot, and Jacob Baltazar,
> Claudia Keller, and John Browning are as mad as hell and aren't going to
> take it anymore.
>
> Those unhappy iPadders have filed suit against Apple � and they're
> asking the court to elevate their claim to class-action status.
>
> Their lawsuit, filed in the US District Court, Northern District of
> California, alleges that "the iPad overheats so quickly under common
> weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use either
> outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."

So what's the problem? Makes a great coffee cup warmer.

From: SMS on
News wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
>> Apple's iPad can shut down if it gets too hot, and Jacob Baltazar,
>> Claudia Keller, and John Browning are as mad as hell and aren't going to
>> take it anymore.
>>
>> Those unhappy iPadders have filed suit against Apple � and they're
>> asking the court to elevate their claim to class-action status.
>>
>> Their lawsuit, filed in the US District Court, Northern District of
>> California, alleges that "the iPad overheats so quickly under common
>> weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use either
>> outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."

> So what's the problem? Makes a great coffee cup warmer.

I worked on the Microsoft Tablet reference design and the Compaq TC1000
tablet. The thermal engineering was very difficult, much more so than a
laptop. It has to work in both orientations, it has to be cool enough to
hold comfortably, and it has to be quiet. The initial goal was not to
have a fan, but there was no way to cool it under all possible
circumstances without the occasional use of a fan, unless we lowered the
processor speed to a level where the performance was severely impacted.
It was a much thicker tablet with more vent holes than the iPad. When I
saw the iPad I was impressed that they had been able to design it as
they had and still been able to deal with all the thermal issues.

There are software workarounds for thermal issues. You run the processor
slower as the temperature goes up. It's not ideal, but it will work.
Probably the thermal profiles need to be tuned to prevent these shutdowns.

What's strange about the lawsuit is that over-temp shutdowns should be
independent of the weather conditions, they should depend solely on the
temperature readings from the core and other temp sensors in the unit,
and a shutdown should only occur when other measures to lower the
temperature have failed.

[alt.cellular.cingular removed, Cingular no longer exists]
From: News on
SMS wrote:
> News wrote:
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> Apple's iPad can shut down if it gets too hot, and Jacob Baltazar,
>>> Claudia Keller, and John Browning are as mad as hell and aren't going to
>>> take it anymore.
>>>
>>> Those unhappy iPadders have filed suit against Apple � and they're
>>> asking the court to elevate their claim to class-action status.
>>>
>>> Their lawsuit, filed in the US District Court, Northern District of
>>> California, alleges that "the iPad overheats so quickly under common
>>> weather conditions that it does not function for prolonged use either
>>> outdoors, or in many other warm conditions."

>> So what's the problem? Makes a great coffee cup warmer.
>>

> I worked on the Microsoft Tablet reference design and the Compaq TC1000
> tablet. The thermal engineering was very difficult, much more so than a
> laptop. It has to work in both orientations, it has to be cool enough to
> hold comfortably, and it has to be quiet. The initial goal was not to
> have a fan, but there was no way to cool it under all possible
> circumstances without the occasional use of a fan, unless we lowered the
> processor speed to a level where the performance was severely impacted.
> It was a much thicker tablet with more vent holes than the iPad. When I
> saw the iPad I was impressed that they had been able to design it as
> they had and still been able to deal with all the thermal issues.
>
> There are software workarounds for thermal issues. You run the processor
> slower as the temperature goes up. It's not ideal, but it will work.
> Probably the thermal profiles need to be tuned to prevent these shutdowns.
>
> What's strange about the lawsuit is that over-temp shutdowns should be
> independent of the weather conditions, they should depend solely on the
> temperature readings from the core and other temp sensors in the unit,
> and a shutdown should only occur when other measures to lower the
> temperature have failed.

Or when the coffee cup and its aromatic payload are at just the right temp.
From: Todd Allcock on

"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message

> What's strange about the lawsuit is that over-temp shutdowns should be
> independent of the weather conditions, they should depend solely on the
> temperature readings from the core and other temp sensors in the unit, and
> a shutdown should only occur when other measures to lower the temperature
> have failed.

How can it be independent of weather (or, at least, the ambient temperature
around the device)? The internal heat has to go somewhere, and it can be
drawn out of the device into a 70-degree F environment much faster than
into, say, a 90-degree one.