From: Arno Wagner on
Previously kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the computer users, including professionals, don't look at or
> take care SMART's "reallocated sectors count" value, they usually take
> care full / surface scans against data loss unless SMART reaches to a
> critical level with alerting.

Sounds pretty foolish to me. For example the smartd SMART monitor
does report any changes in pre-fail attributes per default, so at
least Linux users will typically do better, if they do SMART
monitoring.

> I have e-mailed Seagate to ask about the topic title, they haven't
> replied with a satisfactory answer so far. Maybe they know or not. Who
> knows?

> Even sometimes, i hear contact noise, i detailed it them, they said:
> if the drive passes long test, i shouldn't worry. As i'm not an
> amateur, i usually watch SMART values to see what goes on.

> My other SMART values are those (latest):

> Are they any value that should make me concerned? (no pending or
> uncorrectable sectors)

Looks all fine to me, ecept for the reallocation count.

Arno

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:51:53 -0800 (PST), kimiraikkonen
<kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Most of the computer users, including professionals, don't look at or
>take care SMART's "reallocated sectors count" value, they usually take
>care full / surface scans against data loss unless SMART reaches to a
>critical level with alerting.
>
>I have e-mailed Seagate to ask about the topic title, they haven't
>replied with a satisfactory answer so far. Maybe they know or not. Who
>knows?
>
>Even sometimes, i hear contact noise, i detailed it them, they said:
>if the drive passes long test, i shouldn't worry. As i'm not an
>amateur, i usually watch SMART values to see what goes on.
>
>My other SMART values are those (latest):
>
>Are they any value that should make me concerned? (no pending or
>uncorrectable sectors)
>
> Attribute Name Threshold Value
>Worst Raw value
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>1 (01) Raw Read Error Rate 34 63
>53 2778681
>3 (03) Spin Up Time 0
>70 70 0
>4 (04) Start/Stop Count 20
>100 100 692
>5 (05) Reallocated Sectors Count 36 98
>98 98
>7 (07) Seek Error Rate 30
>81 60 158998323
>9 (09) Power-On Hours 0
>10 (0A) Spin Retry Count 97 100
>100 0
>12 (0C) Device Power Cycle Count 20 98
>98 2602
>194 (C2) Temperature 0
>21 51 21
>195 (C3) Hardware ECC recovered 0 61
>53 2778681
>197 (C5) Current Pending Sector Count 0 100
>100 0
>198 (C6) Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100
>100 0
>199 (C7) UltraDMA CRC Error Count 0 200
>200 0
>200 (C8) Write Error Rate (Multi Zone Error Rate) 0 100
>253 0
>202 (CA) Data Address Mark Errors 0 100
>253 0
>
>Sorry, if the lines slide out of the page, i use Google to access
>newsgroups, don't know how you get here :-(
>
>Thanks.

From what I've seen, good Seagate drives normally have large numbers
for Raw Read Error Rate, Seek Error Rate, and Hardware ECC Recovered.
In any case I don't believe the numbers necessarily reflect errors.

For example, based on my testing, Seagate's "Seek Error Rate" stat
appears to be a count rather than a rate, and it appears to count
seeks rather than seek errors.

See this old thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage/browse_thread/thread/9519f7ad86d7be72/14f4a561a397493c?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#14f4a561a397493c

Here are some examples of SmartUDM reports.

Seagate 120GB HD:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/120GB.RPT

Fujitsu 6GB HD:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/6GB.RPT

Seagate 13GB HD (with 119 reallocated sectors):
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SmartUDM/13GB.RPT

- Franc Zabkar
From: John Turco on
kimiraikkonen wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> Sorry, if the lines slide out of the page, i use Google to access
> newsgroups, don't know how you get here :-(
>
> Thanks.

Hello,

A free NNTP server (aioe.cjb.net) allows me to both read, and to
post to, various Usenet (non-binary) newsgroups.

Please, go here, for further information:

Aioe.org Home Page <http://www.aioe.org>

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>