From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 06:43:08 -0800, kimiraikkonen
> <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>>Here is Everest ones about "reallocated sectors count":
>>
>>ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst
>>Data Status
>>05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98
>>98 OK: Value is normal
>>
>>I also check with ActiveSMART saying the raw value is: 98
>>
>>Arno said it counts down, i had 2 bad-sectors at the past which i
>>fixed using Seatools. Since that, i haven't had any bad-blocks shown
>>in chkdsk or Seatools full surface scan.
>>
>>So what does that values mean?
>>ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst
>>Data Status
>>05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98
>>98 OK: Value is normal
>>
>>SmartUDM from Dos: Raw: 000000000062h
>> reallocated sectors: 98 (but how
>>reliable is it?)

> OK, I see the reason for my confusion. In your case the actual raw
> value of 98 sectors (=62 hex) coincides with the "percentage" value or
> "normalized" value of 98. Pure coincidence.

That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.

98 bad sectors is a high number. If it does not increase, the
drive may still be fine (there are those that discard a drive
at the first reallocated secotr, I prefer RAID1 and backups).

Arno
From: Rod Speed on
kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> "Rod",

No need to quote that, that is my real name.

> here is full SMART report from Everest,

It looks fine.

> it say everyvalue is normal.

It always does unless the drive is very close to imminent
death, ignore that and focus on the Data numbers.

> Meanwhile, this reallocated sectors may remain from past

Yes, they certainly are, but you dont get that many
reallocated sectors unless the drive is dying.

> and i don't want to conclude unless they dramatically continue to populate.

Doesnt need to be dramatic, if they keep increasing, the drive is dying.

> ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
>
> 01 Raw Read Error Rate 34 64 53 171388353
> OK: Value is normal
> 03 Spin Up Time 0 70 70
> 0 OK: Always passes
> 04 Start/Stop Count 20 100 100
> 692 OK: Value is normal
> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98
> 98 OK: Value is normal
> 07 Seek Error Rate 30 81 60
> 158600840 OK: Value is normal

Thats normal for a seagate. That value does vary with the manufacturer.

> 09 Power-On Time Count 0 93 93
> 6581 OK: Always passes
> 0A Spin Retry Count 97 100 100
> 0 OK: Value is normal
> 0C Power Cycle Count 20 98 98
> 2590 OK: Value is normal
> C2 Temperature 0 28 51
> 28 OK: Always passes

It has been a bit high in the past, but not enough to be the cause
of the reallocated sectors. Thats the main reason I wanted the full
report to see if there was any other problem but the one you showed.

> C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 64 53
> 171388353 OK: Always passes

Ditto with seagate drives.

> C5 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100
> 0 OK: Always passes
> C6 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100
> 0 OK: Always passes

Those two say that there arent any bads that havent been reallocated.

> C7 Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate 0 200 200
> 0 OK: Always passes

Thats the ribbon cable, its fine.

From: Rod Speed on
Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Previously kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It just means 98 out of 100, with no fixed relation. Unless it
>>> ist the "raw" value, then it means 98 defective and reallocated
>>> secors.
>>> That would be a lot. In your case it could mean that the vendor has
>>> choosen to decrese it by 1 for each reallocated secor and therefore
>>> allow 64 reallocated secors before a bad SMART status is reached.
>
>> I don't think its raw value. How will i know? There are only:
>> current:98 worst:98 threshold:36 data:98. I don't think there are
>> much bad blocks (98 is so much) and never had any serious problem
>> that may point 98 bad-blocks.

>>> After long SMART selftest/surface scan, there should be no
>>> unrecognized bad secors. BTW, recognized bad secors that
>>> could not (yet) be reallocated are listed unter the
>>> "Pending sectors" (or the like) attribute.

>>> Huh? Where did you find "lower value is better"? All
>>> SMART attributes have a "value decresed on problem" semantics
>>> in the "coocked" form. Of course in the raw form, it can be
>>> different, but the threshold and ordinary attibute display is
>>> cooked. Let me give you an example from one of my disks:
>
>>> From here an other sites:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring%2C_Analysis%2C_and_Reporting_Technology
>
>> Says "reallocated sectors count" value lower is better.
>
>>> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
>>> UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f
>>> 100 100 051 Pre-fail Always - 0 3
>>> Spin_Up_Time 0x0007 100 100 025 Pre-fail
>>> Always - 6080 4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 099
>>> 099 000 Old_age Always - 1115 5
>>> Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 253 253 010 Pre-fail
>>> Always - 0
>>>
>>> "Value", "Worst" and "Threshold" are cooked values, and lower is
>>> always worse. "Raw_Value" is the register value, and here hogher
>>> is indeed worse for reallocated sector count. Note that this disk
>>> has zero reallocated sectors.
>

>> So, as summary you advise to consider / care "raw value" ?
>
> For reallocated sectors, yes! Especially since the raw
> value is usually a direct count. (Except for some
> notepook HDD I have, which seems to count down from
> 4096000000....)
>
>> Which
>> programs will show "raw value"? Could you give an Windows-based
>> sample? I tried about 3 programs saying only: current, value,
>> threshold and worst...
>

> The above is from the smartmontools, which have been ported
> to Windows as well. Commandline only, but easily the best
> functionality. http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

But not the most readable report around.

From: Franc Zabkar on
On 13 Nov 2007 00:57:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
to keyboard and composed:

>Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>> OK, I see the reason for my confusion. In your case the actual raw
>> value of 98 sectors (=62 hex) coincides with the "percentage" value or
>> "normalized" value of 98. Pure coincidence.
>
>That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.
>
>98 bad sectors is a high number. If it does not increase, the
>drive may still be fine (there are those that discard a drive
>at the first reallocated secotr, I prefer RAID1 and backups).
>
>Arno

I've been living with a dying drive for at least two years. This last
week was the last straw, though.

I find that Seagate's threshold value of 36 is somewhat optimistic. If
I have correctly interpreted my logs, then each percentage (?) point
corresponds to a loss of approximately 40 sectors. So a value of 36
represents a loss of 64 points, which in turn corresponds to about
2560 reallocated sectors.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2007 00:57:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
> to keyboard and composed:

>>Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>>> OK, I see the reason for my confusion. In your case the actual raw
>>> value of 98 sectors (=62 hex) coincides with the "percentage" value or
>>> "normalized" value of 98. Pure coincidence.
>>
>>That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.
>>
>>98 bad sectors is a high number. If it does not increase, the
>>drive may still be fine (there are those that discard a drive
>>at the first reallocated secotr, I prefer RAID1 and backups).
>>
>>Arno

> I've been living with a dying drive for at least two years.

Gutsy! ;-)

> This last week was the last straw, though.

> I find that Seagate's threshold value of 36 is somewhat optimistic. If
> I have correctly interpreted my logs, then each percentage (?) point
> corresponds to a loss of approximately 40 sectors. So a value of 36
> represents a loss of 64 points, which in turn corresponds to about
> 2560 reallocated sectors.

Well possible. I once had a Maxtor (in a cluster of compute servers)
that was incredible slow and has about 1100 reallocated sectors.
This thing was dying pretty fast (had been dropped and it
took some weeks to develop problems). The thing was that the
SMART status still read good, i.e. above the threshold.
At that time I started monitoring the raw reallocated sector
count and installed email notification on changes of that..

Some vendors are extremely optimisticc with regard to SMART
thresholds. Kind of makes the SMART status alone pretty
worthless. No wonder so many people are asking in this group
for help interpreting SMART data.

Arno