From: Folkert Rienstra on
kimiraikkonen wrote in
> Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ), Franc,
> Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.
>
> So, as overall when you looked at SMART values, i want to summarize
> what i got in that topic?
>
> 1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's no unallocated as
> a threat of data loss? Right?
>

> 2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal
>
> That means there are 98 reallocated sectors, but still couldn't
> completely understand for Seagate what "threshold - 36" means? It
> shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed to allocate
> 100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)
>
> 3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs. Right?
>
> 4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
> replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating. When the drive
> has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace that sectors with
> a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector" statistic is updated.
>
> If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see it
> as "bad" marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i understand
> correct?
>
> 5- Though a drive has "reallocated sectors", if it can read every data
> (checking with several disk reading utilites), it doesn't have a
> unallocatable / unfixable bad sectos which are the reasons of real
> data loss.
>
> Those 5 questions are the ones i see answered them clearly.

> Again, thank you for following and helping. Very helpful...

Yeah, pity none of them recognized your original report for what
it was and none of them ever called a S.M.A.R.T. report correct.

From: Rod Speed on
kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote

> Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ),

Just as well, the death squad would have got its orders otherwise |-)

> Franc, Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.

> So, as overall when you looked at SMART values,
> i want to summarize what i got in that topic?

> 1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's
> no unallocated as a threat of data loss? Right?

The english is too fractured there for it to be clear what the last half is asking.

> 2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal

> That means there are 98 reallocated sectors,

Yes.

> but still couldn't completely understand for Seagate what "threshold - 36" means?

Dont worry about it, those thresholds are too conservative to be useful in this situation.

> It shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed
> to allocate 100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)

No, it doesnt mean that.

> 3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs. Right?

Yes, but its the Data value that matters, not what the SMART utes say.

> 4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
> replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating.

Yes, tho it may have needed a deliberate write to the sector to get the drive
to reallocate it. The drive wont necessarily reallocate on reads that fail, mainly
so you can try hard to get the data out of the sector before its reallocated.

> When the drive has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace that sectors
> with a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector" statistic is updated.

Yes, but not necessarily on a read that fails, see above.

> If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see it as "bad"
> marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i understand correct?

No, that can also be just a sector that cant be read but which can be
reallocated if you write to it, triggering the drive to do a reallocation.

Its done like that so you can try hard to get data out of the sector before its reallocated.

> 5- Though a drive has "reallocated sectors", if it can read every data
> (checking with several disk reading utilites), it doesn't have a unallocatable
> / unfixable bad sectos which are the reasons of real data loss.

Its more complicated than that with that many reallocated sectors.

Thats usually evidence that the drive is dying.

Whereas one or two reallocated sectors may be quite
acceptible and not evidence that the drive is dying.

> Those 5 questions are the ones i see answered them clearly.

Thats too fractured to understand too.

> Again, thank you for following and helping. Very helpful...

Thats what these technical newsgroups are for.

From: kimiraikkonen on
On Nov 13, 9:28 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote
>
> > Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ),
>
> Just as well, the death squad would have got its orders otherwise |-)
>
> > Franc, Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.
> > So, as overall when you looked at SMART values,
> > i want to summarize what i got in that topic?
> > 1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's
> > no unallocated as a threat of data loss? Right?
>
> The english is too fractured there for it to be clear what the last half is asking.

Then teach me the correct way of explaining, sorry if couldn't put
thoughts into words in my mind.

> > 2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
> > 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal
> > That means there are 98 reallocated sectors,
>
> Yes.
>
> > but still couldn't completely understand for Seagate what "threshold - 36" means?
>
> Dont worry about it, those thresholds are too conservative to be useful in this situation.
>
> > It shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed
> > to allocate 100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)
>
> No, it doesnt mean that.
>
> > 3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs. Right?
>
> Yes, but its the Data value that matters, not what the SMART utes say.
>
> > 4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
> > replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating.
>
> Yes, tho it may have needed a deliberate write to the sector to get the drive
> to reallocate it. The drive wont necessarily reallocate on reads that fail, mainly
> so you can try hard to get the data out of the sector before its reallocated.
>
> > When the drive has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace that sectors
> > with a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector" statistic is updated.
>
> Yes, but not necessarily on a read that fails, see above.
>
> > If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see it as "bad"
> > marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i understand correct?
>
> No, that can also be just a sector that cant be read but which can be
> reallocated if you write to it, triggering the drive to do a reallocation.

I meant, bad blocks are seen as "bad" in surface scan why they're
really bad / unreadable. They cannot be allocated or allocation
pool(spare area) has failed / full.

Then, when do a user see bad sectors reported after a full / surface
scan?

> Its done like that so you can try hard to get data out of the sector before its reallocated.

Did it but still drive seems OK.

> > 5- Though a drive has "reallocated sectors", if it can read every data
> > (checking with several disk reading utilites), it doesn't have a unallocatable
> > / unfixable bad sectos which are the reasons of real data loss.
>
> Its more complicated than that with that many reallocated sectors.
>
> Thats usually evidence that the drive is dying.
>
> Whereas one or two reallocated sectors may be quite
> acceptible and not evidence that the drive is dying.
>
> > Those 5 questions are the ones i see answered them clearly.
>
> Thats too fractured to understand too.

Again language critisism, sorry if there were due to confusion.

> > Again, thank you for following and helping. Very helpful...
>
> Thats what these technical newsgroups are for.

Correct.

From: Rod Speed on
kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 13, 9:28 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ),
>>
>> Just as well, the death squad would have got its orders otherwise |-)
>>
>>> Franc, Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.
>>> So, as overall when you looked at SMART values,
>>> i want to summarize what i got in that topic?
>>> 1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's
>>> no unallocated as a threat of data loss? Right?

>> The english is too fractured there for it to be clear what the last half is asking.

> Then teach me the correct way of explaining,

Not possible unless I can work out what you are trying to say in that last half, and I still cant.

> sorry if couldn't put thoughts into words in my mind.

>>> 2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
>>> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal
>>> That means there are 98 reallocated sectors,
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> but still couldn't completely understand for Seagate what
>>> "threshold - 36" means?
>>
>> Dont worry about it, those thresholds are too conservative to be
>> useful in this situation.
>>
>>> It shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed
>>> to allocate 100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)
>>
>> No, it doesnt mean that.
>>
>>> 3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs.
>>> Right?
>>
>> Yes, but its the Data value that matters, not what the SMART utes
>> say.
>>
>>> 4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
>>> replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating.
>>
>> Yes, tho it may have needed a deliberate write to the sector to get
>> the drive
>> to reallocate it. The drive wont necessarily reallocate on reads
>> that fail, mainly
>> so you can try hard to get the data out of the sector before its
>> reallocated.
>>
>>> When the drive has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace
>>> that sectors with a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector"
>>> statistic is updated.
>>
>> Yes, but not necessarily on a read that fails, see above.
>>
>>> If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see
>>> it as "bad" marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i
>>> understand correct?
>>
>> No, that can also be just a sector that cant be read but which can be
>> reallocated if you write to it, triggering the drive to do a reallocation.

> I meant, bad blocks are seen as "bad" in surface scan
> why they're really bad / unreadable. They cannot be
> allocated or allocation pool(spare area) has failed / full.

The allocation pool of spare sectors will be empty, not full.

> Then, when do a user see bad sectors reported after a full / surface scan?

Because that is a read only scan, and the drive wont always reallocate
those if it cant read the contents after multiple retrys, so you can use
something else to get the data back before its reallocated.

>> Its done like that so you can try hard to get
>> data out of the sector before its reallocated.

> Did it but still drive seems OK.

Because the diagnostic has rewritten those bad sectors, because you told it to try that.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ), Franc,
> Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.

> So, as overall when you looked at SMART values, i want to summarize
> what i got in that topic?

> 1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's no unallocated as
> a threat of data loss? Right?

The 98 sectors have been moved out of the way. Not risk from them.

> 2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
> 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal

> That means there are 98 reallocated sectors, but still couldn't
> completely understand for Seagate what "threshold - 36" means? It
> shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed to allocate
> 100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)

You have bad sector number x. This inceases on more bad sectors
found. By some obscure procedure that gives value y. This decreses
with more bad secors found. A first hypothesist is that y decreses
by 2 for every 98 bad sectors. The asumption is that the
initial value was 100. Then you have threshold value z.
If y ever reaches or falls below z, then you get a bad SMART status
for the disk.

The current speculation is that in your particular case x and y
have the same numerical value, purely by accident.

> 3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs. Right?

Looked that way.

> 4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
> replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating. When the drive
> has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace that sectors with
> a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector" statistic is updated.

The reallocation count will increase on any successful
realocation.

Reallocation can happen later. If it was unsuccesful so far, you
get a "pending sector". As son as it has been reallocated,
the pending secor attribut is decreased again.

> If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see it
> as "bad" marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i understand
> correct?

Yes.

> 5- Though a drive has "reallocated sectors", if it can read every data
> (checking with several disk reading utilites), it doesn't have a
> unallocatable / unfixable bad sectos which are the reasons of real
> data loss.

The reallocated sectros are recognized _and_ corrected problems.
These sectors will not cause problems in the future. Other
sectors may go bad, but if a complete surface scan does not
show any, all data is in sectors that are fine or at least look
like it. In rare cases a sector can work with some data, but be
defect with other data. Very rare with today's disks, due to
heavy use of error correcting codes.

You still may want to do a complete surface scan regularly,
so that the disk can recognize sectors slowly going bad
in time and can rescue the data in them. I run such a test
every 14 days automatically, but once every 1-2 months should
do fine. You can make that a part of your standard backup
procedure.

> Those 5 questions are the ones i see answered them clearly.

> Again, thank you for following and helping. Very helpful...

You are welcome.

Arno