From: kimiraikkonen on
Arno, Rod (no quatiton mark :-) ), Franc,
Thanks you for following this topic and keeping replying.

So, as overall when you looked at SMART values, i want to summarize
what i got in that topic?

1- There are 98 reallocated bad sectors but there's no unallocated as
a threat of data loss? Right?

2-ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst Data Status
05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98 98 OK: Value is normal

That means there are 98 reallocated sectors, but still couldn't
completely understand for Seagate what "threshold - 36" means? It
shouldn't be percantage, does it mean that i'm allowed to allocate
100-36 = 64 bad ones? (frustrating)

3- The other SMART values are fine as stated by many programs. Right?

4- A "reallocated sector count" shows the amount of reallocated /
replaced sectors silently while the drive is operating. When the drive
has a problem with sector, first it tries to replace that sectors with
a "spare" sector thus a "reallocated sector" statistic is updated.

If the sector is completely unreadable or unreallocatable, you see it
as "bad" marked in surface scan tools like Seatools. Did i understand
correct?

5- Though a drive has "reallocated sectors", if it can read every data
(checking with several disk reading utilites), it doesn't have a
unallocatable / unfixable bad sectos which are the reasons of real
data loss.

Those 5 questions are the ones i see answered them clearly.

Again, thank you for following and helping. Very helpful...

Regards.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:5psau8FscubaU5(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:55:15 -0800, kimiraikkonen composed:
>
> > > Hello,
> > > I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
> > > "reallocated sector count".
> > >
> > > "reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
> > > my Smart utility:
> > >
> > > Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98
>
> > You need to monitor the raw value. I use a DOS utility named SmartUDM
> > for this purpose. For Windows there is Everest Home Edition.
>
> > My Seagate 13GB HD has been steadily growing defects. Two years ago
> > they were at 34, today I have 130. During the past week about 10 bad
> > sectors were added. I have now backed up and retired the drive.
>
> Increase in bad sectors is a very bad sign.
>
> > Based on what my Everest and SmartUDM logs show (see below), and
> > assuming that the numbers are not scaled up for larger HDs, I suspect
> > that you may have between ~80 and ~120 reallocated sectors.
>
> That would be bad. I had one Maxtor HDD that got about this
> high a number in one burst and worked perfectly for another
> 3 years. But it was in a RAID and I would not trust a disk
> with this many bad sectors....

Right Babblebot, far better to trust a drive that has never exhibited any
signs but will die tomorrow just a split second after you hit the Power button.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:5psb47FscubaU6(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 06:43:08 -0800, kimiraikkonen composed:
>
> > > Here is Everest ones about "reallocated sectors count":
> > >
> > > ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst
> > > Data Status
> > > 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98
> > > 98 OK: Value is normal
> > >
> > > I also check with ActiveSMART saying the raw value is: 98
> > >
> > > Arno said it counts down, i had 2 bad-sectors at the past which i
> > > fixed using Seatools. Since that, i haven't had any bad-blocks shown
> > > in chkdsk or Seatools full surface scan.
> > >
> > > So what does that values mean?
> > > ID Attribute Description Threshold Value Worst
> > > Data Status
> > > 05 Reallocated Sector Count 36 98 98
> > > 98 OK: Value is normal
> > >
> > > SmartUDM from Dos: Raw: 000000000062h
> > > reallocated sectors: 98 (but how reliable is it?)
>
> > OK, I see the reason for my confusion. In your case the actual raw
> > value of 98 sectors (=62 hex) coincides with the "percentage" value or
> > "normalized" value of 98. Pure coincidence.
>
> That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.

You are a babblebot with a cooked brain. Nothing is confusing to you.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Franc Zabkar wrote in news:iu7ij3to4tgjk8ll1kutb4a1vr8d5cp8sh(a)4ax.com
> On 13 Nov 2007 00:57:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
> to keyboard and composed:
>
> > Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
>
> > > OK, I see the reason for my confusion. In your case the actual raw
> > > value of 98 sectors (=62 hex) coincides with the "percentage" value or
> > > "normalized" value of 98. Pure coincidence.
> >
> > That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.

You're Babblebot. You can't do anything about it. It's in your DNA.

> > 98 bad sectors is a high number. If it does not increase, the
> > drive may still be fine (there are those that discard a drive
> > at the first reallocated secotr, I prefer RAID1 and backups).
> >
> > Arno
>
> I've been living with a dying drive for at least two years. This last
> week was the last straw, though.
>
> I find that Seagate's threshold value of 36 is somewhat optimistic. If
> I have correctly interpreted my logs, then each percentage (?) point
> corresponds to a loss of approximately 40 sectors. So a value of 36
> represents a loss of 64 points, which in turn corresponds to about
> 2560 reallocated sectors.

Which is still a minute percentage of the number of spare sectors available.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Arno Wagner wrote in news:5pt2ceFskbkpU2(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:
> > On 13 Nov 2007 00:57:43 GMT, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> put finger
> > to keyboard and composed:

> > > That looks very likely to me too now. Quite confusing, I agree.
> > >
> > > 98 bad sectors is a high number. If it does not increase, the
> > > drive may still be fine (there are those that discard a drive
> > > at the first reallocated secotr, I prefer RAID1 and backups).
> > >
> > > Arno
>
> > I've been living with a dying drive for at least two years.
>
> Gutsy! ;-)
>
> > This last week was the last straw, though.
>
> > I find that Seagate's threshold value of 36 is somewhat optimistic. If
> > I have correctly interpreted my logs, then each percentage (?) point
> > corresponds to a loss of approximately 40 sectors. So a value of 36
> > represents a loss of 64 points, which in turn corresponds to about
> > 2560 reallocated sectors.
>
> Well possible. I once had a Maxtor (in a cluster of compute servers)
> that was incredible slow and has about 1100 reallocated sectors.
> This thing was dying pretty fast (had been dropped and it
> took some weeks to develop problems). The thing was that the
> SMART status still read good, i.e. above the threshold.
> At that time I started monitoring the raw reallocated sector
> count and installed email notification on changes of that..
>
> Some vendors are extremely optimisticc with regard to SMART
> thresholds. Kind of makes the SMART status alone pretty
> worthless. No wonder so many people are asking in this group
> for help interpreting SMART data.

Pity about the moronic answers they get.