From: kimiraikkonen on
Hello,
I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
"reallocated sector count".

"reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
my Smart utility:

Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98

I checked my drive a lot of times with SEATOOLS with "complete FULL
scan" also checked with regular chkdsk /f function. No bad blocks are
found (zero) 0 kb.

So, what does the warning about "reallocated sector count"?

Are they really bad sectors which are hidden or what is it?

If there are bad blocks hidden, why is there popular utilities like
Seatools which can find bad blocks and replace them (zero-fill
replacing)?

Please help.

Regards...

From: Rod Speed on
kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
> "reallocated sector count".

> "reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
> my Smart utility:

> Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98

> I checked my drive a lot of times with SEATOOLS with "complete FULL
> scan" also checked with regular chkdsk /f function. No bad blocks are
> found (zero) 0 kb.

> So, what does the warning about "reallocated sector count"?

> Are they really bad sectors which are hidden

Yes, they are bad sectors that have been replaced, reallocated.

> or what is it?

> If there are bad blocks hidden, why is there popular utilities like Seatools
> which can find bad blocks and replace them (zero-fill replacing)?

Because its not desirable to replace them regardless, you may
want to try to get the data out of them before replacing them.

If a drive has too many reallocated sectors, its dying.

From: kimiraikkonen on
On 11 Kas m, 21:47, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
> > "reallocated sector count".
> > "reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
> > my Smart utility:
> > Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98
> > I checked my drive a lot of times with SEATOOLS with "complete FULL
> > scan" also checked with regular chkdsk /f function. No bad blocks are
> > found (zero) 0 kb.
> > So, what does the warning about "reallocated sector count"?
> > Are they really bad sectors which are hidden
>
> Yes, they are bad sectors that have been replaced, reallocated.
>
> > or what is it?
> > If there are bad blocks hidden, why is there popular utilities like Seatools
> > which can find bad blocks and replace them (zero-fill replacing)?
>
> Because its not desirable to replace them regardless, you may
> want to try to get the data out of them before replacing them.
>
> If a drive has too many reallocated sectors, its dying.

If so, why can't i see bad sectors reported after running official
Seatools?

It says full surface scan / long test as "Passed".

I'm confused. Also i want to mention; at past there were some logical
bad blocks zero-filled(replaced) using Seatools with success.
Do they remain from past or recent?

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkonen85(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
> "reallocated sector count".

> "reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
> my Smart utility:

> Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98

That is not at the limit. These attributes count down.
The limit would be 36, it is currently at 98, likely down
from 100.

> I checked my drive a lot of times with SEATOOLS with "complete FULL
> scan" also checked with regular chkdsk /f function. No bad blocks are
> found (zero) 0 kb.

That is why these are "re"-allocated. The bad blocks are not
visible anymore.

> So, what does the warning about "reallocated sector count"?

> Are they really bad sectors which are hidden or what is it?

> If there are bad blocks hidden, why is there popular utilities like
> Seatools which can find bad blocks and replace them (zero-fill
> replacing)?

Because the disk can not allways reallocated bad blocks.
It basically can if a) the block is bad but still readable or b)
it found the bad block in a surface scan and it gets overwritten
befiore it gets read.

> Please help.

Now, there are no raw numbers given by the SMART utility you use. Or
this disk does not give you a raw reallocation count. One thing you
should do is to tru to get a raw realocation count. This may be two
sectors or 200, hard to tell. The other thing is that while your disk
may have a problem, it might also be fine. The key to determining this
is to observe the disk carefully. If it gets more reallocated sectors
over time, replace it. If not, it may be fine. For this you need the
raw value again. Also run a long SMART selftest every week or so for
some time. And keep your backups current.

Other poossibel sources of bad secors: Bad PSU, mechanical shock
or vibration.

Arno
From: kimiraikkonen on
On 11 Kas m, 22:55, Arno Wagner <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> Previously kimiraikkonen <kimiraikkone...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I want to ask a question about my Seagate drives SMART attribute
> > "reallocated sector count".
> > "reallocated sector count" is at the limit. The values are i look with
> > my Smart utility:
> > Current: 98, Worst: 98, Threshold: 36, Data: 98
>
> That is not at the limit. These attributes count down.
> The limit would be 36, it is currently at 98, likely down
> from 100.
>
> > I checked my drive a lot of times with SEATOOLS with "complete FULL
> > scan" also checked with regular chkdsk /f function. No bad blocks are
> > found (zero) 0 kb.
>
> That is why these are "re"-allocated. The bad blocks are not
> visible anymore.
>
> > So, what does the warning about "reallocated sector count"?
> > Are they really bad sectors which are hidden or what is it?
> > If there are bad blocks hidden, why is there popular utilities like
> > Seatools which can find bad blocks and replace them (zero-fill
> > replacing)?
>
> Because the disk can not allways reallocated bad blocks.
> It basically can if a) the block is bad but still readable or b)
> it found the bad block in a surface scan and it gets overwritten
> befiore it gets read.
>
> > Please help.
>
> Now, there are no raw numbers given by the SMART utility you use. Or
> this disk does not give you a raw reallocation count. One thing you
> should do is to tru to get a raw realocation count. This may be two
> sectors or 200, hard to tell. The other thing is that while your disk
> may have a problem, it might also be fine. The key to determining this
> is to observe the disk carefully. If it gets more reallocated sectors
> over time, replace it. If not, it may be fine. For this you need the
> raw value again. Also run a long SMART selftest every week or so for
> some time. And keep your backups current.
>
> Other poossibel sources of bad secors: Bad PSU, mechanical shock
> or vibration.
>
> Arno

Hi Arno,
Thanks for replying. It was very helpful and relaxing. I want to tell
its short history:

At past i had 2 bad sectors on that(same) disk which were not
physical(logical) and replaced (zero-filled) via Seatools(officiall
diagnostic utility) easily.
Since then, i frequently scan full surface of my drive i don't see any
bad sectors reported since 2 bad ones have been repaired by Seatools.

So that 100-98 = 2 bad sectors are those ones which were replaced and
OK now?

So, is there anything than i must concern at the moment? Is there any
present bad sectors although i fixed(zero-filled) those 2 ones before?

Very thanks.