From: Char Jackson on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:02:46 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Char Jackson wrote:
>> Was my suggestion (RAID controller versus USB controller) considered?
>

>The problem with putting the drives through a RAID controller is that
>I'd have to bring these drives into the computer case and and connect
>them permanently. I am trying to keep them as backup drives, therefore
>they need to remain in the external case.

With sufficiently long cables, you wouldn't have to bring the drives
into the computer case.

From 1999 until about 2003 I had a system that was maxed out with 4
IDE hard drives, so I installed 4 more drives in a second computer
case and powered them from the power supply in that PC case, but
connected their data cables to an IDE controller card installed in my
main PC, giving me a total of 8 (smallish) drives. Before that, I did
essentially the same thing with some SCSI drives, (the controller was
internal but the drives were external), so the concept of "external
drives that think they're internal" has been around for a long time,
including a long time before I stumbled upon it.

From: Yousuf Khan on
Char Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:02:46 -0400, Yousuf Khan
> <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The problem with putting the drives through a RAID controller is that
>> I'd have to bring these drives into the computer case and and connect
>> them permanently. I am trying to keep them as backup drives, therefore
>> they need to remain in the external case.
>
> With sufficiently long cables, you wouldn't have to bring the drives
> into the computer case.

The purpose of these drives is not for full-time storage needs, they are
only for backup and archival requirements. Think of them as fulfilling
the same purpose as tape drives. So connecting them to an internal
SATA/RAID controller is totally out of the question, the drives in
question may be powered down and put away in a closet after backups.

Yousuf Khan
From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:32:59 -0400, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Char Jackson wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:02:46 -0400, Yousuf Khan
>> <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> The problem with putting the drives through a RAID controller is that
>>> I'd have to bring these drives into the computer case and and connect
>>> them permanently. I am trying to keep them as backup drives, therefore
>>> they need to remain in the external case.
>>
>> With sufficiently long cables, you wouldn't have to bring the drives
>> into the computer case.
>
>The purpose of these drives is not for full-time storage needs, they are
>only for backup and archival requirements. Think of them as fulfilling
>the same purpose as tape drives. So connecting them to an internal
>SATA/RAID controller is totally out of the question, the drives in
>question may be powered down and put away in a closet after backups.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Sounds like you need a less expensive version of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165200

Up to 4TB capacity, multiple USB ports, 2 10/100/1000 ports, etc.

From: Daniel Prince on
Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:

>Bought a dual-disk USB enclosure and a couple of 1.5TB drives to put
>into it. First of all, the enclosure has a built in concatenation
>feature. When using that, Windows and Linux both see it as an 800 GB
>drive, rather than a 3000 GB drive! So I put it back to regular mode,
>and we see two separate 1.5 TB drives again.

Why do you need the two drives to be seen as one 3 TB drive and not
two 1.5 TB drive? Are you that low on drive letters?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
From: Yousuf Khan on
Char Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:32:59 -0400, Yousuf Khan
> <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The purpose of these drives is not for full-time storage needs, they are
>> only for backup and archival requirements. Think of them as fulfilling
>> the same purpose as tape drives. So connecting them to an internal
>> SATA/RAID controller is totally out of the question, the drives in
>> question may be powered down and put away in a closet after backups.
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Sounds like you need a less expensive version of this:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165200
>
> Up to 4TB capacity, multiple USB ports, 2 10/100/1000 ports, etc.

Yeah, *way* less expensive! Considering the price of the rackmount unit
you linked to ($1652), I'm not doing too badly with what I put together
at 3TB, and a cost of less than $250. I might also have trouble putting
that rackmount into a closet or cupboard later. :)

Yousuf Khan