From: Yousuf Khan on
Bought a dual-disk USB enclosure and a couple of 1.5TB drives to put
into it. First of all, the enclosure has a built in concatenation
feature. When using that, Windows and Linux both see it as an 800 GB
drive, rather than a 3000 GB drive! So I put it back to regular mode,
and we see two separate 1.5 TB drives again.

Next I tried concatenating through Windows Disk Management. BTW, this is
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64. When I use the Spanned Volume wizard, it
gives the error message, "Operation is not supported by object". I then
tried converting each disk from MBR partitions to the new GPT
partitions, it accepted that. I then retried the Spanned Volume wizard,
and the same message appeared. Then I tried converting them to Dynamic
disks, but it showed the "Operation is not supported by object" message
again. I think whatever the problem is, it's from this stage where it
tries to convert to dynamic disks. So why isn't it accepting the
conversion to dynamic disks?

Yousuf Khan
From: JW on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:00:49 -0400 Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote in Message id:
<4bb16962$1(a)news.bnb-lp.com>:

>Bought a dual-disk USB enclosure and a couple of 1.5TB drives to put
>into it. First of all, the enclosure has a built in concatenation
>feature. When using that, Windows and Linux both see it as an 800 GB
>drive, rather than a 3000 GB drive! So I put it back to regular mode,
>and we see two separate 1.5 TB drives again.
>
>Next I tried concatenating through Windows Disk Management. BTW, this is
>Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64. When I use the Spanned Volume wizard, it
>gives the error message, "Operation is not supported by object". I then
>tried converting each disk from MBR partitions to the new GPT
>partitions, it accepted that. I then retried the Spanned Volume wizard,
>and the same message appeared. Then I tried converting them to Dynamic
>disks, but it showed the "Operation is not supported by object" message
>again. I think whatever the problem is, it's from this stage where it
>tries to convert to dynamic disks. So why isn't it accepting the
>conversion to dynamic disks?

Just guessing here, but do USB devices support spanning natively?
See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/534f4fa0-7a61-4a23-952f-e034e1137e03/
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan <bbbl67(a)spammenot.yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bought a dual-disk USB enclosure and a couple of 1.5TB drives to put
> into it. First of all, the enclosure has a built in concatenation
> feature. When using that, Windows and Linux both see it as an 800 GB
> drive, rather than a 3000 GB drive! So I put it back to regular mode,
> and we see two separate 1.5 TB drives again.

> Next I tried concatenating through Windows Disk Management. BTW, this is
> Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64. When I use the Spanned Volume wizard, it
> gives the error message, "Operation is not supported by object". I then
> tried converting each disk from MBR partitions to the new GPT
> partitions, it accepted that. I then retried the Spanned Volume wizard,
> and the same message appeared. Then I tried converting them to Dynamic
> disks, but it showed the "Operation is not supported by object" message
> again. I think whatever the problem is, it's from this stage where it
> tries to convert to dynamic disks. So why isn't it accepting the
> conversion to dynamic disks?

> Yousuf Khan

Maybe Windows thinks that you cannot possibly want to span on
removable devices? It has this habit of thinking it knows
what you do and do not want but at the same time is far too
stupid to pull it off.

Incidentially the 800GB seems to be a problem with the enclosure,
there is no limit (that I know of) at 39.5 bit adress length.
Maybe give this pice of trash back?

USB storage supports both SCSI 32 and SCSI 64 bit sector numbers.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Yousuf Khan on
JW wrote:
> Just guessing here, but do USB devices support spanning natively?
> See
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/534f4fa0-7a61-4a23-952f-e034e1137e03/

Well according to that, it looks like (at least as of Windows 2000)
dynamic disks weren't supported on USB or Firewire disks.

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Rod Speed wrote:
> A much more fundamental question is whether you really want to do that.

Yeah, I do, I don't care about the points of failure argument. This is
going to be used as a backup device, for my other drives. It's going to
be unplugged and/or unpowered most of the rest of the time.

Yousuf Khan