From: Yousuf Khan on
andy wrote:
> Are you using something like this, which has a self-contained RAID
> interface?
> MobileSTOR MS2UT+ - 2 Bay eSATA/USB RAID/SAFE33/50 (Silver)
> http://store.sansdigital-shop.com/moms4.html

No, this is what I have.

Tsunami - Tsunami eData II 3500 3.5″ JBOD Black - EDATAJBODBK
http://pricecanada.com/p.php/Tsunami-eData-II-3500-35-JBOD-Black-EDATAJBODBK-649067/

Yousuf Khan
From: Yousuf Khan on
Char Jackson wrote:
> I admit, I was trying to shock you a bit. :)
> But seriously, I was going on the assumption that your current
> hardware isn't doing what you need, at least so far. So my next
> question was whether any hardware would do what you want, and I think
> the answer is yes. So now it's just a matter of finding something
> affordable, or finding a way to make your current hardware work.

Well, I had thought that the hardware that I got would do what I needed.
But the concatenation didn't work right.

Yousuf Khan
From: UI.Designer on
Yousuf -

When I went to the Tsunami web site to look up the details on this
drive enclosure, I found that there's an internal jumper for switching
between JBOD (2 separated disks) and BIG (one bunched disk). Have you
set that jumper properly?

- Paul

From: Yousuf Khan on
UI.Designer(a)home.org wrote:
> Yousuf -
>
> When I went to the Tsunami web site to look up the details on this
> drive enclosure, I found that there's an internal jumper for switching
> between JBOD (2 separated disks) and BIG (one bunched disk). Have you
> set that jumper properly?
>
> - Paul

Yes, and it's not an internal switch, it's quite visible on the outside.

Yousuf Khan
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Yeah, *way* less expensive! Considering the price of the rackmount unit
> you linked to ($1652), I'm not doing too badly with what I put together
> at 3TB, and a cost of less than $250. I might also have trouble putting
> that rackmount into a closet or cupboard later. :)

What about a FreeNAS or similar device? Make it out of an old PC and it will
work fine, although you may run into throughput problems if the CPU can't
keep up with the flow of data. Still, you won't need much CPU for a decently
designed and well supported NIC. If you have gigabit NICs in both machines
and gigabit capable switches linking them (or a crossover cable) it could
theoretically be faster than USB or Firewire.

I'm using an HP Vectra VA Pentium Pro. It's probably the only Pentium Pro in
the world with a serial ATA card in it. That card (a cheap one) drives two
hard disks...one internal Samsung SpinPoint Ecogreen 500GB unit and a
Samsung SpinPoint 750GB drive in an external enclosure connected via eSATA.
I also put in a USB 2.0 card to make it possible to connect external disks
and dump the contents to an external drive that is then taken offsite. But
you could just as easily put the PC in a closet when you're done with it.

I'll be making another from a no-name K6 based PC that will go to a house
next door to mine. There is a wireless link between the two places, and
while it may be slow, the idea is to configure rsync jobs between the two
machines.

William