From: David H. Lipman on
From: "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam>

>> If you are worried, specifically block TCP and UDP port 135 ~ 138 and 445
>>on the Linksys Router.
>> This way no NetBIOS over IP can leak out to the Internet and no hacker from the
>> Internet
>> can access via these ports.

| Ok, it there some app or some way I can tell if any of my apps use these ports ?

NetBIOS over IP and SMB uses these ports. That's why I indicate to delibarately block
them at the Router (LAN/WAN barrier).

>> Use a PreShared authentication key for WireLess that is long and strong in conjunction
>> with AES encryption and you may want to use MAC Authentication as well.

| Ok, my router does support this so I could make the switch, I wondering if I keep the
|
| same generated key could I just switch in the router without having to reconfigure all
|
| the laptops.

If the PreShared authentication is weak then yes, you would if you chage it a strong
authentication string. Mine is ASCII 13~4 cars. long using uppercase, lowercase and
numbers.

>> Also disable all remote management protocols to the Router (that is POV of the WAN
>> side) and disable WAN ICMP and UDP traceroute capabilities.

| I'm pretty
| sure I already have this set. Would I have to change anything if say a Tech
| support (at my clicked authorization) needed to take over my PC for configurations or is
that a

| different thing ?

If you invite them, it should't be a problem. They just won't be able to 'ping' you.
However, I wouldn't let *any* tech support take control of my computer. Too much
possibility of abuse.

--
Dave

From: RB on
> - It sounds as if you've been reading Steve Gibson's advice at www.grc.com.

Yes his sight and a few others (which I surmise are also dated)

>That is pretty dated - it's for NT/4 and there have been quite a few changes since then.

Could you tell me some of the changes or give a link about such
( If it is not covered below)

> - With respect to NetBIOS over TCP/IP, start reading here: http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006/04/netbios-over-tcpip.html

This has some interesting stuff. It will take me some time to read over
this. I may come back with some different questions

From: RB on

> Specifically what are you reading that shows "screens of Network Bindings to
> all services"? If we can view it we will be better able to answer that question. I would guess it's probably a NT thing.

I saw the bindings at this link
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols/network_protocols10.gif

> Any NAT router's firewall worth it's salt will block the NetBIOS/TCP (and SMB) ports between the LAN and WAN segments so
> NetBIOS/TCP (and SMB) traffic will stay within the LAN.

So these ports are not usually needed by any installed app ?

>I usually turn off NetBIOS/TCP on a laptop's wireless connection since they connect to various LANs when they go mobile.
>NetBIOS/TCP makes the machines visible in My Network Places. But SMB can still get to machines on the LAN unless the File and
>Printer sharing exception is turned off in the XP firewall.

What is SMB ? Is this any better than NWLink IPX/SPX ?
See I need to see some shared folders on the Desktop

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
If you are worried that is a good idea.
Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP:
http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: RB on

"Jack [MVP-Networking]"
> If you are worried that is a good idea.
> Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP: http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

So then you are saying that NetBeui is a good thing then ?
I have the following questions if you would be so kind as to reply to them.
What is SMB ? Is this any better than NWLink IPX/SPX ?
See I need to see some shared folders on the Desktop

Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with netbeui ?
I cannot find it on my xp machine.
http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8