From: Andy Medina on

"RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam> wrote in message

> I'm not sure what I will do now, maybe delete my passwords and go back to
> Simple file & print sharing which worked great albeit unsecure.

BTW the user account passwords do NOT have to be deleted if you go back to
Simple File and Print Sharing (SF&P). SF&P uses the Guest account *only* to
access shared resources. No other account can be used for network/remote
logins.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

"Behavior that is affected when Simple File Sharing is turned on

* Remote users always authenticate as the Guest account."

From: RB on
In retrospec I would like you brief input on the following.

1. If I implement Simple file and Print Sharing, but only go in and check it enabled
on both machines when needed, this will offer a type of security in it's own, correct ?
( I am assuming I can do this without the trouble of a reboot)

2. In addition to this, if I implement logon passwords, what other protection does this offer
besides keeping physical users from accessing my computer (other than one who has pswd )

> BTW the user account passwords do NOT have to be deleted if you go back to Simple File and Print Sharing (SF&P). SF&P uses the
> Guest account *only* to
> access shared resources. No other account can be used for network/remote logins. From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

Thanks for the confirmation. I really took off my passwords in attempt to
get even simple file sharing working again. But alas it did not help. I read the KB
but I have the Everyone (and all the other default) group on both machines.
Something is really screwed since I tried to incorporate passwords. I have
all my data files on a separate partition (on both machines) so I may just have
to reinstall the OS and all my apps to the C: drive and start over. A good days
work between the two of them but I am reaching the end of my rope with this.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: WAN connection
Next: Wireless problems, again...