From: Lem on
RB wrote:

<snip>
> Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with netbeui ?
> I cannot find it on my xp machine.
> http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg

Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. You can also
install/remove "Network Components" from the same menu, without going
through Control Panel > Add/Remove, etc.

(P.S.: Sometimes, Help & Support does in fact provide help.)

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "RB" <NoMail(a)NoSpam>

| "Jack [MVP-Networking]"
>> If you are worried that is a good idea.
>> Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP: http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

| So then you are saying that NetBeui is a good thing then ?
| I have the following questions if you would be so kind as to reply to them.
| What is SMB ? Is this any better than NWLink IPX/SPX ?
| See I need to see some shared folders on the Desktop

| Where is this mysterious screen found for bindings, does it install with netbeui ?
| I cannot find it on my xp machine.
| http://www.ezlan.net/network/XP_Net_advance.jpg

Don't use IPX/SPX unless you have software that needs IPX/SPX.

If you add NetBEUI you will have to unbind NetBIOS from IP otherwsie you gain nothing and
you don't want to remove TCP/IP or you won't access the Internet.

If you follow my initial set of instructions, you don't have to add NetBEUI and fuss with
unbind NetBIOS from IP.

--
Dave

From: Andy Medina on
I agree with David, don't use NetBEUI. It is a *VERY* talkative/noisy
protocol and there is really no need for it. NetBIOS/TCP will do just fine
for the LAN sharing. IPX/SPX is more (but not exclusively) for Novell
networks. I definitively wouldn't use that protocol unless an app (or game)
needs it. As for SMB, it basically replaces NetBIOS/TCP for Printer and File
sharing starting with the Windows 2000 version and it runs on top (or over)
TCP (SMB/TCP). More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Andy Medina" <gmedina(a)email.arizona.edu>

| I agree with David, don't use NetBEUI. It is a *VERY* talkative/noisy
| protocol and there is really no need for it. NetBIOS/TCP will do just fine
| for the LAN sharing. IPX/SPX is more (but not exclusively) for Novell
| networks. I definitively wouldn't use that protocol unless an app (or game)
| needs it. As for SMB, it basically replaces NetBIOS/TCP for Printer and File
| sharing starting with the Windows 2000 version and it runs on top (or over)
| TCP (SMB/TCP). More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

I once had to setup a SOHO LAN using IPX/SPX for a multi-user network game. However I
can't remember that Game's name and a few years have gone by.

IPX/SPX was great for games because it is a faster, more tunable, network protocol than
TCP/IP.

Pegasus Mail (P-Mail) was Netware aware and it communcates natively via IPX/SPX to work
with Netware as a multi-user office email application.

Not too much call for IPX/SPX these days. :-(

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

< snip >

| Pegasus Mail (P-Mail) was Netware aware and it communcates natively via IPX/SPX to work
| with Netware as a multi-user office email application.

< snip >

I should add that Pegasus Mail just enjoyed 20 the anniversary.
I never stopped using it.

--
Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last