From: Andy Medina on
For question 1: Open the Network Connections Control Panel applet (Control
Panel - Network Connections) and under the Advanced menu item is Advanced
Settings. That will open the window you are looking for.

From: RB on
> Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings. You can also install/remove "Network Components" from the same menu, without
> going through Control Panel > Add/Remove, etc.

Well evidently you have that screen on yours, but my XP pro sp3 does not.
I have seen the screen in the past (I believe on XP home) but mine now
only has 3 Netbios add scenarios. I was wondering if after I installed Netbuei
the bindings window would then be visable ?

From: Andy Medina on
Which of the following is true?

a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.

Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?

From: RB on

"Andy Medina"
> Which of the following is true?
> a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
> b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
> c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
> d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.
> Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?
I don't know if I am allowed to post jpg attachments which I could do if I knew
it was acceptable to do so. But there could be quite a few of them to expound
everything. But as brief as possible this is the explained scenario:
ControlPanel->NetworkConnections then right click on desired
connection and choose properties, brings up a screen showing
two tabs General and Advanced. I will tell you about the
General tab first since I believe it expands to the area of
question, (I will skip this particular Advanced tab till later)
If you look at the General tab window you see in the first list
box window my Network Adapter listing with a Configure button
beside it. If you click the Configure button it basically covers
driver installation or uninstalling etc.
So back out of Configure back to the same said General Tab then
if you look down the second list box window it has all of your
protocols and file & print sharing services that are installed.
If you highlite the tcp/ip protocol and click properties then you
see a window with a General tab and a Alternate Config tab,
Down at the bottom (of the General tab window) there is an
Advanced button, if you click that you see an area that I believe
is pertinant to this discussion. It has 4 tabs, IP Settings,
DNS, WINS, and Options. If you click the WINS tab you see a window
with a top list box where you can add WINS addresses, Below that
you can check ENABLE LMHOSTs options. And below that is 3 options,
1. Default use Netbios from DHCP server
2. Enable Netbios over tcp/ip
3. Disable Netbios over tcp/ip
There are no bindings window to be found in "ANY" of the expanded
windows stemming from the original NetworkConnections properties
General tab.
So then if you look at the original NetworkConnections properties
Advanced tab (skipped over above) then you see a windows firewall
window with one Settings button. So clicking on the Settings button
you see the windows Firewall window with a General tab, an Exceptions
tab and an Advanced tab. Expanding out "all" of these none of them
bring up "any" bindings window.

From: Lem on
RB wrote:
> "Andy Medina"
>> Which of the following is true?
>> a) there is no "Advance" menu item in the Network Connections window.
>> b) there is no "Advanced Settings" item under the Advance menu item.
>> c) there is no "Adapter and Bindings" tab in the Advance Settings window.
>> d) there is a "Adapter and Bindings" tab but nothing is listed.
>> Is there a "Provider Order" tab in the Advance Settings window?
> I don't know if I am allowed to post jpg attachments which I could do if I knew
> it was acceptable to do so. But there could be quite a few of them to expound
> everything. But as brief as possible this is the explained scenario:
> ControlPanel->NetworkConnections then right click on desired
> connection and choose properties, brings up a screen showing
> two tabs General and Advanced. I will tell you about the
> General tab first since I believe it expands to the area of
> question, (I will skip this particular Advanced tab till later)
> If you look at the General tab window you see in the first list
> box window my Network Adapter listing with a Configure button
> beside it. If you click the Configure button it basically covers
> driver installation or uninstalling etc.
> So back out of Configure back to the same said General Tab then
> if you look down the second list box window it has all of your
> protocols and file & print sharing services that are installed.
> If you highlite the tcp/ip protocol and click properties then you
> see a window with a General tab and a Alternate Config tab,
> Down at the bottom (of the General tab window) there is an
> Advanced button, if you click that you see an area that I believe
> is pertinant to this discussion. It has 4 tabs, IP Settings,
> DNS, WINS, and Options. If you click the WINS tab you see a window
> with a top list box where you can add WINS addresses, Below that
> you can check ENABLE LMHOSTs options. And below that is 3 options,
> 1. Default use Netbios from DHCP server
> 2. Enable Netbios over tcp/ip
> 3. Disable Netbios over tcp/ip
> There are no bindings window to be found in "ANY" of the expanded
> windows stemming from the original NetworkConnections properties
> General tab.
> So then if you look at the original NetworkConnections properties
> Advanced tab (skipped over above) then you see a windows firewall
> window with one Settings button. So clicking on the Settings button
> you see the windows Firewall window with a General tab, an Exceptions
> tab and an Advanced tab. Expanding out "all" of these none of them
> bring up "any" bindings window.

You can post pictures using one of the many web-based public picture
hosting services.

However, you are looking in the wrong place.

For reference, here is how you get to the screen in question, although
as David Lipman and Andy Medina say, you shouldn't use NetBEUI.

1. Open Network Connections
2. In the Menu bar (the one that has File, Edit, View, etc.), click
"Advanced."
3. In the drop-down menu under "Advanced," click "Advanced Settings."
4. The "Advanced Settings" dialog should open. It has two tabs,
"Adapters and Bindings" and "Provider Order."

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last