From: Tom Harrington on
In article <i2na43$4c2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> wrote:

> Yes, absolutely great news. At last, Apple offers a G5! But I thought it
> would bring the prices down. How come it doesn't?
>
> See what you can get at Newegg for $590.99:
>
> 1. Intel Core i5-655K (Clarkdale) 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
> Unlocked Desktop Processor (Model: BX80616I5655K)

Down at the first step! The Mac Pros start at four cores and go up from
there.

> 2. GIGABYTE Socket 1156 Intel H55 Express Chipset HDMI Micro ATX
> Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)

I looked up reviews on this motherboard on Newegg. The first few all
gave 1/5 eggs and included comments like "very disappointing", "arrived
DOA", "Don't buy", "might as well be in my trash".

Truly inspiring, I must say.

[...snip list that fails to mention optical drive, wireless networking,
and who knows maybe more...]

> Of course, it's not assembled, but assembly takes about an hour or
> somebody can do it for you for around $60. That would be $650 for a
> computer that has vastly superior specs.

Superior by what measure? Fewer cores is better? Fewer features,
crappy motherboard, seriously in what way is it superior?

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: Howard S Shubs on
In article <270720101417195766%star(a)sky.net>, Davoud <star(a)sky.net>
wrote:

> It would be dishonest of me (I didn't say dishonest of *you* ) to sell
> a "Magic" mouse on eBay because I have never sold anything there that I
> did not personally believe was a top quality item. Lesser stuff I give
> away, free. For some years I have been donating my Apple-brand mice to
> anyone who would take them.

That's your call. Back when I would sell stuff on eBay, I'd sell it if
I wanted to get rid of it for money. These days, the arrangement on
eBay is too biased against sellers and you pay through the nose for the
privilege. No thanks.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
From: Tim McNamara on
In article <howard-0CB5CA.16472327072010(a)82-136-209-74.ip.telfort.nl>,
Howard S Shubs <howard(a)shubs.net> wrote:

> In article <270720101417195766%star(a)sky.net>, Davoud <star(a)sky.net>
> wrote:
>
> > It would be dishonest of me (I didn't say dishonest of *you* ) to
> > sell a "Magic" mouse on eBay because I have never sold anything
> > there that I did not personally believe was a top quality item.
> > Lesser stuff I give away, free. For some years I have been donating
> > my Apple-brand mice to anyone who would take them.
>
> That's your call. Back when I would sell stuff on eBay, I'd sell it
> if I wanted to get rid of it for money. These days, the arrangement
> on eBay is too biased against sellers and you pay through the nose
> for the privilege. No thanks.

The Craigslist arrangement works much better, IME. eBay is a fleece
market for sellers, unless you're one of the favored few that gets the
giant sweetheart deal in exchange for posting thousands of items.

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.
From: Tim McNamara on
In article <tph-54BC07.14132227072010(a)localhost>,
Tom Harrington <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <i2na43$4c2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, absolutely great news. At last, Apple offers a G5! But I
> > thought it would bring the prices down. How come it doesn't?
> >
> > See what you can get at Newegg for $590.99:
> >
> > 1. Intel Core i5-655K (Clarkdale) 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
> > Unlocked Desktop Processor (Model: BX80616I5655K)
>
> Down at the first step! The Mac Pros start at four cores and go up
> from there.
>
> > 2. GIGABYTE Socket 1156 Intel H55 Express Chipset HDMI Micro
> > ATX Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)
>
> I looked up reviews on this motherboard on Newegg. The first few all
> gave 1/5 eggs and included comments like "very disappointing",
> "arrived DOA", "Don't buy", "might as well be in my trash".
>
> Truly inspiring, I must say.
>
> [...snip list that fails to mention optical drive, wireless
> networking, and who knows maybe more...]
>
> > Of course, it's not assembled, but assembly takes about an hour or
> > somebody can do it for you for around $60. That would be $650 for a
> > computer that has vastly superior specs.
>
> Superior by what measure? Fewer cores is better? Fewer features,
> crappy motherboard, seriously in what way is it superior?

Hey, man, you're talking to the delusional again....

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/27/2010 05:40 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article<tph-54BC07.14132227072010(a)localhost>,
> Tom Harrington<tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
>
>> In article<i2na43$4c2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, absolutely great news. At last, Apple offers a G5! But I
>>> thought it would bring the prices down. How come it doesn't?
>>>
>>> See what you can get at Newegg for $590.99:
>>>
>>> 1. Intel Core i5-655K (Clarkdale) 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
>>> Unlocked Desktop Processor (Model: BX80616I5655K)
>>
>> Down at the first step! The Mac Pros start at four cores and go up
>> from there.
>>
>>> 2. GIGABYTE Socket 1156 Intel H55 Express Chipset HDMI Micro
>>> ATX Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)
>>
>> I looked up reviews on this motherboard on Newegg. The first few all
>> gave 1/5 eggs and included comments like "very disappointing",
>> "arrived DOA", "Don't buy", "might as well be in my trash".
>>
>> Truly inspiring, I must say.
>>
>> [...snip list that fails to mention optical drive, wireless
>> networking, and who knows maybe more...]
>>
>>> Of course, it's not assembled, but assembly takes about an hour or
>>> somebody can do it for you for around $60. That would be $650 for a
>>> computer that has vastly superior specs.
>>
>> Superior by what measure? Fewer cores is better? Fewer features,
>> crappy motherboard, seriously in what way is it superior?
>
> Hey, man, you're talking to the delusional again....

Absolutely! Don't talk to the delusional! Talking about delusion... Did
you notice that the i5 only comes standard with the $2,000 model?