From: Steve Hix on
In article <tph-54BC07.14132227072010(a)localhost>,
Tom Harrington <tph(a)pcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

> In article <i2na43$4c2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, absolutely great news. At last, Apple offers a G5! But I thought it
> > would bring the prices down. How come it doesn't?
> >
> > See what you can get at Newegg for $590.99:
> >
> > 1. Intel Core i5-655K (Clarkdale) 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
> > Unlocked Desktop Processor (Model: BX80616I5655K)
>
> Down at the first step! The Mac Pros start at four cores and go up from
> there.
>
> > 2. GIGABYTE Socket 1156 Intel H55 Express Chipset HDMI Micro ATX
> > Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)
>
> I looked up reviews on this motherboard on Newegg. The first few all
> gave 1/5 eggs and included comments like "very disappointing", "arrived
> DOA", "Don't buy", "might as well be in my trash".
>
> Truly inspiring, I must say.
>
> [...snip list that fails to mention optical drive, wireless networking,
> and who knows maybe more...]
>
> > Of course, it's not assembled, but assembly takes about an hour or
> > somebody can do it for you for around $60. That would be $650 for a
> > computer that has vastly superior specs.
>
> Superior by what measure? Fewer cores is better? Fewer features,
> crappy motherboard, seriously in what way is it superior?

It's cheeper, man. What more do you want, dude?
From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-TZslpEdtwqqt(a)localhost>,
"John Varela" <newlamps(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:42:06 UTC, Lloyd Parsons
> <lloydparsons(a)mac.com> wrote:

> > > Right, but that doesn't answer the question as to whether that model is
> > > worth the three hundred bucks over the $1199 model.
> >
> > True, but that is a subjective answer depending on needs. Frankly my
> > 3.06Ghz Core2Duo 27" iMac is more than fast enough for anything I do, so
> > if I were looking for a new iMac this year, the base 27" would be the
> > one that I would get.
>
> I'm glad you said that, since I just ordered a refurbished one from
> the Apple web site.

You'll love it. That screen is beautiful and the speed is awesome.

My uses are more music engraving (Finale & Sibelius) and other music
related stuff. I don't do any video except conversion of my owned DVDs.
But reports out when they were the newest on the block indicate that
they are loved by the video and photo buffs too.

--
Lloyd

From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article <i2na43$4c2$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Tim Okergit <to(a)notme.com> wrote:

> On 07/27/2010 08:58 AM, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
> > All new iMacs with i3, i5 or i7 processors
> >
> > Magic Trackpad
> >
> > Apple Battery recharger w/batteries.
> >
> > I'm sure I missed a few.
>
> Yes, absolutely great news. At last, Apple offers a G5! But I thought it
> would bring the prices down. How come it doesn't?
>
> See what you can get at Newegg for $590.99:
>
> 1. Intel Core i5-655K (Clarkdale) 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
> Unlocked Desktop Processor (Model: BX80616I5655K)
> 2. GIGABYTE Socket 1156 Intel H55 Express Chipset HDMI Micro ATX
> Motherboard (Model: GA-H55M-UD2H)
> 3. G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual
> Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Model: F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)
> 4. Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA II 3.5"
> Internal Hard Drive (Model: ST31500341AS) - OEM
> 5. OCZ StealthXStream 700Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI & CrossFire Ready
> Active PFC Power Supply (Model: OCZ700SXS)
> 6. RAIDMAX Quantum Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model:
> ATX-798WB)
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.432233
>
> Of course, it's not assembled, but assembly takes about an hour or
> somebody can do it for you for around $60. That would be $650 for a
> computer that has vastly superior specs.
>
> How come Macs are so expensive? Oh, yeah! It has MacOS which is so
> superior to Linux and the BSDs, though much less secure after Apple
> tweaked FreeBSD.
>
> Who cares? Money is for spendign and Jobs never cares receiving a littel
> extra. U'mm gonna buy one!

Nothing new here, you've always been able to buy the parts and slap
something together cheaper than buying an Apple. But at the end of
that, it isn't an Apple. Not engineered so those parts last longer, a
certain amount of incompaibility issues that might show up and most
likely a butt ugly tower instead of a sleek all-in-one.

And of course, the currently malware free OSX!

--
Lloyd

From: Howard S Shubs on
In article <i2nn6e$ths$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Wes Groleau <Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:

> So here I am with hundreds of dollars in Paypal,
> borrowing money to ship the item!

I hadn't realized it'd gotten that bad, but that rather reinforces my
policy. Sigh. And you're at the mercy of a person who might just lie.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-28-2010 01:48, Howard S Shubs wrote:
> Wes Groleau<Groleau+news(a)FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
>> So here I am with hundreds of dollars in Paypal,
>> borrowing money to ship the item!
>
> I hadn't realized it'd gotten that bad, but that rather reinforces my
> policy. Sigh. And you're at the mercy of a person who might just lie.

They weren't that interested in “protecting the buyer” when my son paid
forty dollars for a unicycle in which one of the assembly bolts extended
through the spokes.

To me, "built by flaming idiots" is just as defective as "broken,"
but the buyer retorted "Listing said NEW, item is NEW" and that
was enough for eBay.

--
Wes Groleau

Secunia Software to help you update