From: Nodoid on
Hi,

> > I tend to think of Gnome as being easier than KDE for a beginner to get
> > to grips with; I second your opinion of AntiX WRT ancient HW; I had it
> > running on a P3, and it really flew.
>
> If the OP is coming from RISC OS, then I think KDE will appear more
> familiar.

Or ROX ;-)

To be honest, I found gnome much simpler to handle than KDE when I
made the switch many many moons ago.

As to the distro of choice, horses for courses. Depends greatly on the
hardware which you use. My first foray was using slackware. Cracking
distro and did the job on a 386 laptop with buggerall memory and HD
space. Having had nothing but unpleasant experiences using it, I'd
stay away from Mandark (mandriva) and Debian. That said, ubuntu is a
pretty class act, but like Fedora, is getting heavy on the resources
IMHO.

PuppyDog is a cute distro...

TTFN

PFJ
From: Nodoid on
Hi,

> > I was recently given an old PC with a 2.5G P4 running W98. As I have no
> > other use for it, I decided to give Linux a go.
>
> > Advice I have been given so far seems to point to Ubuntu so I will
> > download and have a go in the next couple of days, as time permits. (bit
> > short of the latter)
>
> You don't mention how much RAM your PC has. That's often more important
> than the CPU. I don't use Ubuntu either, but I believe it has a minimum
> RAM requirement of 512MB of RAM. That's quite a lot for a machine of
> that era, so if you have less I'd try more lightweight distros such as
> Xubuntu, Puppy or AntiX.

Well, according to the borg, that's more than enough to run WIn7
Ultimate on...

;-)

TTFN

Paul
From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <i36vtg$hec$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Tony van der Hoff
<tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> On 02/08/10 19:14, Stuart wrote:
> > Just wanted to introduce myself
> >
> > http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
> >
> > I'm a long time user of RISC OS

> Yes, well, you'll find quite a number of refugees here!

Am I a 'refugee' if I also still happily use RO? :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <5140ea5168Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk>, Stuart
<Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <i38i77$qb0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, chris
> <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > You don't mention how much RAM your PC has. That's often more
> > important than the CPU. I don't use Ubuntu either, but I believe it
> > has a minimum RAM requirement of 512MB of RAM. That's quite a lot for
> > a machine of that era, so if you have less I'd try more lightweight
> > distros such as Xubuntu, Puppy or AntiX.

> Hmmm, that is a fair RAM requirement. I'll look into it tonight and
> whether more could be added if necessary.

FWIW I find that CrunchBang runs nicely on an old machine with 192MB of
RAM. Xubuntu did run on it, but kept pausing as if 'counting on its
fingers'. I use it with ROX and that works fine.

From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <i38uq2$2iv$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Tony van der Hoff
<tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> On 03/08/10 11:06, Chris Whelan wrote:

> > I tend to think of Gnome as being easier than KDE for a beginner to
> > get to grips with; I second your opinion of AntiX WRT ancient HW; I
> > had it running on a P3, and it really flew.
> >

> If the OP is coming from RISC OS, then I think KDE will appear more
> familiar.

I confess I didn't try KDE. My route was to start with Ubuntu and Xubuntu
and to simply use ROX to get a more 'RO like' feel.