From: Folderol on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:14:48 +0100
Stuart <Spambin(a)argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Just wanted to introduce myself
>
> http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
>
> I'm a long time user of RISC OS and an occasional user of windows (Only
> when necessary). I've been fancying a play with Linux for a while but I
> would rate my computer competence as low.
>
> I was recently given an old PC with a 2.5G P4 running W98. As I have no
> other use for it, I decided to give Linux a go.
>
> Advice I have been given so far seems to point to Ubuntu so I will
> download and have a go in the next couple of days, as time permits. (bit
> short of the latter)
>

> Expect lots of questions.
>
> Stuart

Welcome aboard!

I see from your blurb you like D.I.Y. electronics, in which case you
might want to look up http://arduino.cc/.

Please don't drool. It clogs up the interwebby tubes :)

These have now gone mainstream and the boards are available from RS.

--
Will J G
From: Chris Whelan on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:14:48 +0100, Stuart wrote:

> Just wanted to introduce myself
>
> http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
>
> I'm a long time user of RISC OS and an occasional user of windows (Only
> when necessary). I've been fancying a play with Linux for a while but I
> would rate my computer competence as low.
>
> I was recently given an old PC with a 2.5G P4 running W98. As I have no
> other use for it, I decided to give Linux a go.
>
> Advice I have been given so far seems to point to Ubuntu so I will
> download and have a go in the next couple of days, as time permits. (bit
> short of the latter)
>

> Expect lots of questions.
>
> Stuart

You are likely to get as many replies as there are distros!

I test all the mainstream ones as they are released. In your position, I
would think that Ubuntu was indeed a good place to start. However, I
would recommend that you at least have a look at Linux Mint first. (It's
one of many Ubuntu-based distros.) IMHO, it has a much nicer look and
feel.

Disclaimer: it's not my regular distro.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Tony van der Hoff on
On 02/08/10 19:14, Stuart wrote:
> Just wanted to introduce myself
>
> http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
>
> I'm a long time user of RISC OS

Yes, well, you'll find quite a number of refugees here!

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Ari�ge, France |
From: Geoff Clements on
Stuart wrote:

> Just wanted to introduce myself
>
> http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html

Hello and welcome!

> I'm a long time user of RISC OS and an occasional user of windows (Only
> when necessary). I've been fancying a play with Linux for a while but I
> would rate my computer competence as low.
>
> I was recently given an old PC with a 2.5G P4 running W98. As I have no
> other use for it, I decided to give Linux a go.
>
> Advice I have been given so far seems to point to Ubuntu so I will
> download and have a go in the next couple of days, as time permits. (bit
> short of the latter)

As others have said Ubuntu is probably a good place to start but something
else you may want to try is a LiveCD like Knoppix (as it happens, Ubuntu is
also one of these). These CDs will allow you to boot a full linux
distribution from the CD without installing anything onto your PC.

> Expect lots of questions.

Not a problem, this place is frequented by clever, knowledgeable, helpful
and good looking individuals and I also occasionally contribute. Don't be
put off if you sometimes see the ravings of people called "advocates" they
just stray over this way sometimes and are best ignored.

--
Geoff
From: zed on
Chris Whelan <cawhelan(a)prejudicentlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:14:48 +0100, Stuart wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to introduce myself
> >
> > http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
> >
> > I'm a long time user of RISC OS and an occasional user of windows (Only
> > when necessary). I've been fancying a play with Linux for a while but I
> > would rate my computer competence as low.
> >
> > I was recently given an old PC with a 2.5G P4 running W98. As I have no
> > other use for it, I decided to give Linux a go.
> >
> > Advice I have been given so far seems to point to Ubuntu so I will
> > download and have a go in the next couple of days, as time permits. (bit
> > short of the latter)
> >

> > Expect lots of questions.
> >
> > Stuart
>
> You are likely to get as many replies as there are distros!
>
> I test all the mainstream ones as they are released. In your position, I
> would think that Ubuntu was indeed a good place to start. However, I would
> recommend that you at least have a look at Linux Mint first. (It's one of
> many Ubuntu-based distros.) IMHO, it has a much nicer look and feel.
>
> Disclaimer: it's not my regular distro.

I agree with Chris. After going through openSUSE, Puppy, Fedora, Ubuntu,
and a host of others, I finally found LinuxMint. It is what Ubuntu should
be. No disclaimer, as it has been my distrubution of choice for the last
three + years - and it just gets better.

Regards from New Zealand on a very foggy winter's morning.

Zef
--
zed

Money is the only thing in this country which commands a high price.