From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <uQr*WkGft(a)news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo Markettos
<theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Tony van der Hoff <tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> > If the OP is coming from RISC OS, then I think KDE will appear more
> > familiar.

> Drag and drop is what you're going to miss most. How well is ROX
> supported by applications these days? And I mean mainstream apps, not
> noddy Notepad-style ones.

My experience is limited so I'm probably missing something, but I've found
that loading files by drag and drop, or starting apps and loading files by
clicking, has been easy for most apps with ROX. The main area that tends to
baffle or defeat/frustrate me is the way linux apps seem not to cater for
*saving* by drag and drop. Instead you seem to get the (to me irritating)
'every app has its own filer tree' approach for 'save as'.

Slainte,

Jim

Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

From: Tony Houghton on
In <uQr*WkGft(a)news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Personally I think xfce (as found in Xubuntu) is a desktop friendly to RISC
> OS users - setting windows not to always pop to the front is something you
> can't easily do in GNOME. That would be the biggest thing I'd want to fix
> straightaway. The file manager is vaguely RISC OS like too from what I
> recall.

I think it's relatively easy to disable raise-on-click with compiz (the
window manager used if you enable "desktop effects" in Ubuntu etc); even
the OP's P4 should be able to cope with compiz' basic effects.

GNOME's default window manager, metacity, not only hides its
raise-on-click option, disabling it causes unpleasant side-effects.

Xfce's window manager, xfwm4, is excellent, and not that hard to get
going in GNOME. Open a terminal, enter "xfwm4 --replace &" (don't
include the quotes) then close the terminal and save your session
("Remember Currently Running Application (sic)") from System =>
Preferences => Startup Applications. I think in Ubuntu xfwm4 can
register its config tool with GNOME, but that doesn't seem to happen in
Debian, in which case you can run xfwm4-settings (and/or
xfwm4-workspace-settings and xfwm4-tweaks-settings, but even as a "power
user" I have no need for the latter) from a terminal.

> Drag and drop is what you're going to miss most. How well is ROX supported
> by applications these days? And I mean mainstream apps, not noddy
> Notepad-style ones.

ROX seems to have suffered from a similar decline in development
activity to RISC OS :-(. I find GNOME is a bit better than Windows for
drag & drop, eg you can set the path in a file chooser by dragging a
file or folder into it. Compared to RISC OS that is the wrong way round
for saving though :-/.

PS Hi Richard, I remember you from comp.sys.acorn.*. Bit of a surprise
to see an argonet address again. Do the real ones still work?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Folderol on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:47:27 +0100
Jim Lesurf <noise(a)audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <i38uq2$2iv$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Tony van der Hoff
> <tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
> > On 03/08/10 11:06, Chris Whelan wrote:
>
> > > I tend to think of Gnome as being easier than KDE for a beginner to
> > > get to grips with; I second your opinion of AntiX WRT ancient HW; I
> > > had it running on a P3, and it really flew.
> > >

> > If the OP is coming from RISC OS, then I think KDE will appear more
> > familiar.
>
> I confess I didn't try KDE. My route was to start with Ubuntu and Xubuntu
> and to simply use ROX to get a more 'RO like' feel.
>
> Slainte,
>
> Jim

I use ROX with Openbox window manager. Openbox is *highly*
configurable. None of your focus stealing and always at the top. And to
deal with the occasional naughty window that wants to open twice the
size of the desktop, a double-click on the title bar reduces it to a
demure 800x640 in the centre of the screen :)

--
Will J G
From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <20100803182304.135fe454(a)debian>, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:47:27 +0100 Jim Lesurf <noise(a)audiomisc.co.uk>
> wrote:

> > In article <i38uq2$2iv$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Tony van der Hoff
> > <tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:

> > > If the OP is coming from RISC OS, then I think KDE will appear more
> > > familiar.
> >
> > I confess I didn't try KDE. My route was to start with Ubuntu and
> > Xubuntu and to simply use ROX to get a more 'RO like' feel.
> >
> > Slainte,
> >
> > Jim

> I use ROX with Openbox window manager.

I've forgotten - What wm is used for CrunchBang? I use that with ROX on my
old laptop and it works very nicely. Is that Openbox?

From: Tony van der Hoff on
On 03/08/10 15:40, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> In article<i36vtg$hec$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Tony van der Hoff
> <tony(a)nospam.vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>> On 02/08/10 19:14, Stuart wrote:
>>> Just wanted to introduce myself
>>>
>>> http://www.torrens.org.uk/ZFC/gallery/winsor.html
>>>
>>> I'm a long time user of RISC OS
>
>> Yes, well, you'll find quite a number of refugees here!
>
> Am I a 'refugee' if I also still happily use RO? :-)

No, Jim, but you get full marks for persistence :)

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Ari�ge, France |