From: Tony Houghton on
In <slrni5g8en.23t.h(a)realh.co.uk>,
Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote:

> PS Hi Richard, I remember you from comp.sys.acorn.*. Bit of a surprise
> to see an argonet address again. Do the real ones still work?

Except you're Stuart, not Richard. Sorry about that. I got muddled up
because you used the torrens website, but I do remember your name well
from csa.* too.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: thanatoid on
zed <zed(a)zed.net.nz> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I agree with Chris. After going through openSUSE, Puppy,
> Fedora, Ubuntu, and a host of others, I finally found
> LinuxMint. It is what Ubuntu should be. No disclaimer, as
> it has been my distrubution of choice for the last three +
> years - and it just gets better.

I hope this will not be considered hijacking this thread - I
just saw the last sentence and thought - maybe THIS person can
help me!

I am a total NOOB, I just installed LinuxMint9 on a machine
which has had 98SELite for years, and would like to install XP
on another partition (ONLY because of a SINGLE video capture
card which has NO 9x or Linux drivers...).

[I am struggling with GRUB - dl'd a bunch of manuals, etc. but
may be forced to post a question if I can't figure out how to
install XP and have it show up in the GRUB boot menu.]

My biggest problem right now is the monitor. For some reason,
Mint can not detect my monitor and offers 3 default modes (shown
with 0 Hz refresh, although it /looks/ like maybe 70 Hz at best
- it's a CRT which can go up to 85 - steady as a rock), two of
which look kind of crappy and one (1024x768) looks like an
hourglass. There are no drivers for my MB with an IntelExtreme
graphics chip circa 2003... It's a Compaq EVO D510 SFF.

Is there any way (using xorg - that /seems/ to be the place to
"configure stuff", although I have NO clue as what it is
exactly, let alone how to use it...) to set up 1024x768 with 80-
85 refresh and (hopefully) end up with a rectangle, not an X-
shaped image? If the hourglass will /not/ go away, I can live
with 800 x 600 just fine, but would like to put the refresh rate
at the max - 85 Hz, my eyes are killing me!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
Ernst Jan Plugge
From: Chris Whelan on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 02:14:26 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

[...]

> I hope this will not be considered hijacking this thread

It might have been better to start a new one.

> I am a total NOOB, I just installed LinuxMint9 on a machine which has
> had 98SELite for years, and would like to install XP on another
> partition (ONLY because of a SINGLE video capture card which has NO 9x
> or Linux drivers...).

To dual-boot, partition the drive first, install any Windows OS's second,
install any Linux OS's last.

There will be lots of "walk-throughs" on line to help you.

> [I am struggling with GRUB - dl'd a bunch of manuals, etc. but may be
> forced to post a question if I can't figure out how to install XP and
> have it show up in the GRUB boot menu.]

If you follow the sequence above, you won't need to do anything to Grub;
all installed systems will show up.

[Snip resolution woes]

I can't help directly with this, but if no useful information is
forthcoming from the Mint documentation (which is pretty sparse), it
might be worth looking at the Ubuntu docs (which are comprehensive).

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
From: Jim Lesurf on
In article <slrni5g8en.23t.h(a)realh.co.uk>, Tony Houghton <h(a)realh.co.uk>
wrote:

> ROX seems to have suffered from a similar decline in development
> activity to RISC OS :-(.

Since this thread now seems to have become long enough to morph/split
topics... I'll display my ignorance to a wider audience. :-)

What is it that you feel is lacking in ROX? On the systems I have it seems
to run OK with only one or two minor 'puzzles' - which are probably due to
other aspects of the systems.

My personal 'magic wish' for ROX would be for it to provide an easy
mechanism for 'save as' dragbox *before* the data to be saved is generated
in the program. One as easy and part-of-ROX-out-of-the-box as the loading
and running side.

ROX makes drag and drop loading of data and starting of apps very easy.
Simply a matter of having the correct AppRun and catching the results from
the environment. (FWIW I'm thinking here of the way I write the bulk of the
program in 'C' and call it from AppRun.)

But there doesn't seem to be something as simple as having a

#include <roxstuff.h>

at the top and then something like

get_rox_save_name(fred)

to produce a dragbox that gives you the drop destination in a char array
'fred'.

Or is this already there and just I've not yet sorted it out? I did try
setting up the ROX Clib some time ago but became deterred as I had problems
getting it up and running. Had the impression events were trying to nudge
me towards Python. 8-]

Slainte,

Jim

Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

From: Theo Markettos on
Jim Lesurf <noise(a)audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:
> My personal 'magic wish' for ROX would be for it to provide an easy
> mechanism for 'save as' dragbox *before* the data to be saved is generated
> in the program. One as easy and part-of-ROX-out-of-the-box as the loading
> and running side.

One idea to do this would be to modify the toolkit(s) (GTK, Qt etc) to
generate save as dragboxes rather than mini-filers. Then you'd just need to
drop in a new libgtk.so shared library and all GTK apps should use that. It
doesn't make the app load things by drag and drop but it gets rid of the
'Save As' mini-filer.

The difficulty is that so much in the system depends on a specific version
of GTK, so you'd have a job to keep up - you'd probably need to repatch and
rebuild at every upgrade.

Though I'm not sure how the mini-filers work... GIMP, for example, uses GTK
but has its own.

Maybe someone has already done this - I haven't followed ROX for years.

Theo