From: Arny Krueger on
"Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
> Tim Scott wrote:
>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with
>> him some of his own mics. They were mini capsules built
>> into a Neutrik male XLR. They sounded really nice - he
>> was using them as drum overheads (only other mic on the
>> kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for
>> a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told
>> me they are home-made by some guy in America, that makes
>> them for fun. What really amazed me however was the
>> price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really
>> interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD each. The guy I met the
>> other night, said he got a mathed pair
>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the
>> website he offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you
>> can return them for any reason if you aren't happy for a
>> refund. Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack
>> adapter chassis, for similar pricing, and some other
>> little mics, and stuff Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used
>> them?
>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>
> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but
> ultimately only as good as the capsule.

Sort of like a Berhinger ECM8000 in a very tiny case.

From: Tim Scott on

"Tim Scott" <timscott18(a)nospamplease.spamarrest.com> wrote in message
> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of his
> own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR. They
> sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only other mic
> on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for a mic this
> small. I asked him about them, and he told me they are home-made by some
> guy in America, that makes them for fun. What really amazed me however
> was the price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really interested in
> profits. They are priced at 19USD each. The guy I met the other night,
> said he got a mathed pair delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at
> the website he offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them
> for any reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>
> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter chassis,
> for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>
> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>
> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html

Well, have ordered a paid - will let you know how i get on playing with
them, rather than just listening to someone else using.

From: Earl Grey on
Tim Scott wrote:
> "Tim Scott" <timscott18(a)nospamplease.spamarrest.com> wrote in message
>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of his
>> own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR. They
>> sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only other mic
>> on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for a mic this
>> small. I asked him about them, and he told me they are home-made by some
>> guy in America, that makes them for fun. What really amazed me however
>> was the price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really interested in
>> profits. They are priced at 19USD each. The guy I met the other night,
>> said he got a mathed pair delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at
>> the website he offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them
>> for any reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>>
>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter chassis,
>> for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>
>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>
> Well, have ordered a paid - will let you know how i get on playing with
> them, rather than just listening to someone else using.

They should work well, I used Ramsa clip on mics on drums a lot, which
would probably be the same electret capsule
From: Bob Urz on

Geoff wrote:
> Tim Scott wrote:
>
>>Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>>his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>>They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>>other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>>for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>>are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>>really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>>them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>>each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>>delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>>offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>>reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>>Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>>chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>
>>Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>>They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>>http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>

> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
> good as the capsule.
>
> geoff

Whats under the hood:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=160979

Bob

From: Earl Grey on
Bob Urz wrote:

> Geoff wrote:
>> Tim Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>>> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>>> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>>> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>>> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>>> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>>> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>>> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>>> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>>> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>>> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>>> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>>
>>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>>
>>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>>

>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only
>> as good as the capsule.
>>
>> geoff
>>
> Whats under the hood:
>
> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=160979
>

> Bob

> News==----
> Newsgroups

Its probably the WM61 rather than the 64
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/em06_wm61_a_b_dne.pdf
With an external fet
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm#Mic
You could try building your own version of a boundary mic a la SM91 (
for a cheap kick) :-D