From: Eeyore on

Tim Scott wrote:

> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of his own
> mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR. They sounded
> really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only other mic on the kit
> was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for a mic this small. I
> asked him about them, and he told me they are home-made by some guy in
> America, that makes them for fun. What really amazed me however was the
> price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really interested in profits.
> They are priced at 19USD each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a
> mathed pair delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any reason
> if you aren't happy for a refund.
>
> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter chassis, for
> similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>
> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>
> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

They look intruiging for sure.

Graham

From: Arny Krueger on
"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:45D93A02.A04D3C6D(a)hotmail.com
> Tim Scott wrote:
>
>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with
>> him some of his own mics. They were mini capsules built
>> into a Neutrik male XLR. They sounded really nice - he
>> was using them as drum overheads (only other mic on the
>> kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for
>> a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told
>> me they are home-made by some guy in America, that makes
>> them for fun. What really amazed me however was the
>> price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really
>> interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD each.
>> The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the
>> website he offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you
>> can return them for any reason if you aren't happy for a
>> refund.
>>
>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack
>> adapter chassis, for similar pricing, and some other
>> little mics, and stuff
>>
>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>
> Thanks for the 'heads up'.
>
> They look intruiging for sure.

These things are very old news to some of us - they are just Panasonic 6mm
mic capsules hooked up so that they have balanced outputs and work off of
phantom power. One of the earliest published articles about the 6 mm
Panasonic capsules was written by a friend and I, and was published in the
Audio Amateur maybe 20 years or more ago.

Practical circuits for interfacing the Panasonic capsules can be found all
over the web - here are several:

http://sound.westhost.com/project93.htm

http://www.mp3forkidz.com/mic/

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pzm/pzm_ch.htm

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm#Mic

http://www.libinst.com/micassem.htm

From: Ty Ford on
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:03:01 -0500, Tim Scott wrote
(in article <53rpnnF1sv8vuU1(a)mid.individual.net>):

> "Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Tim Scott wrote:
>>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>>> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>>> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>>> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>>> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>>> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>>> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>>> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>>> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>>> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>>> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>>> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>>
>>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>>
>>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>>
>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
>> good as the capsule.
>
> Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a winner in my
> opinion.

Compared to What?

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

From: Rv! on
> Compared to What?
> Ty Ford

Hmm,
However, Sometimes when running live gear choosing something that
works "to an extent" is better than nothing.

Recently I had a last minute job given where I had to mic' up a small
rock band "Urgently" as they were playing in one hour and their PA guy
forgot his mic's.
With no time to get to the lockup, the choice of mic's was from my own
personal "at home" stuff... SM57, Senn' 845s, and scarily, a few mics I
threw together for "nothing" for my local community radio station as
reporter mic's. The reporter mic's were dropped in where "visibility was low." They
have www.jlielectronics.com supplied TSB-99A electrets in my own balanced circuit.
The elements aren't the quietest, but strapped to drums they don't need to be.
The noise floor of the system was still well below that of the room with 200 people
in it.

The end result was a drumkit and guitar cabinet got mic'ed for a total cost of �20/$35.
While very far from perfect, nobody complained about the sound, everybody on stage
and FOH was happy. More importantly I got paid a good sum for assistance. :)
A good side effect of using these "crappy" mics is that the whole PA was much less
visible, and took less time to set up. All in a successful evening.

Rv!

From: Arny Krueger on
"Ty Ford" <tyreeford(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:03:01 -0500, Tim Scott wrote
> (in article <53rpnnF1sv8vuU1(a)mid.individual.net>):
>

>> "Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but
>>> ultimately only as good as the capsule.
>>
>> Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a
>> winner in my opinion.
>

> Compared to What?

Well, that's an important point. The logical competition for the MSH1 is the
Berhinger ECM 8000, which cost only about $20 more, but handle more like a
standard mic. I believe that Scott said that the ECM8000 uses a Chinese
clone of the Panasonic electret. I've seen the capsule of both mics, and
they are visually very similar. If the MSH1 mics do sound better than
ECM8000s, then I might just try an element swap.

Based on the pix I've seen the mounting of the electret element may lack
the design refinement of the ECM8000.