From: Tim Scott on
Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of his own
mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR. They sounded
really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only other mic on the kit
was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses for a mic this small. I
asked him about them, and he told me they are home-made by some guy in
America, that makes them for fun. What really amazed me however was the
price. Apparently, the guy making them isn't really interested in profits.
They are priced at 19USD each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a
mathed pair delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any reason
if you aren't happy for a refund.

Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter chassis, for
similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff

Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
They are definately going on my shopping list!

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html

From: Geoff on
Tim Scott wrote:
> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>
> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>
> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html

Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
good as the capsule.

geoff

From: Tim Scott on

"Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
> Tim Scott wrote:
>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>
>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>
> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
> good as the capsule.

Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a winner in my
opinion.

From: Earl Grey on
Tim Scott wrote:
> "Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Tim Scott wrote:
>>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>>> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>>> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>>> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>>> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>>> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>>> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>>> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>>> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>>> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>>> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>>> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>>
>>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>>
>>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
>> good as the capsule.
>
> Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a winner in my
> opinion.

Its a great idea
diy versions abound
http://prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/buildmic/buildmic_16_1.shtml
http://www.libinst.com/micassem.htm
http://soundsorange.net/?projects:diy_ambisonic_microphone
I still have a kit for orchestras somewhere
From: Harry Lavo on

"Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
> Tim Scott wrote:
>> Visting engineer with band few nights ago. Brought with him some of
>> his own mics. They were mini capsules built into a Neutrik male XLR.
>> They sounded really nice - he was using them as drum overheads (only
>> other mic on the kit was a Beta 52 on kick.) I can see so many uses
>> for a mic this small. I asked him about them, and he told me they
>> are home-made by some guy in America, that makes them for fun. What
>> really amazed me however was the price. Apparently, the guy making
>> them isn't really interested in profits. They are priced at 19USD
>> each. The guy I met the other night, said he got a mathed pair
>> delivered to the UK for 30UKP. Also, looking at the website he
>> offers a 7 day trial on purchases where you can return them for any
>> reason if you aren't happy for a refund.
>> Also on the website is a DI box built into an XLR/jack adapter
>> chassis, for similar pricing, and some other little mics, and stuff
>>
>> Anyone one else here heard of these mics, used them?
>> They are definately going on my shopping list!
>>
>> http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/msh1series.html
>
> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only as
> good as the capsule.

The omni's sound good...I bought four just before the holidays. The
"cardioid" doesn't, but was really just a modified omni designed for the use
as a snare mic, not as a general purpose.