From: Harry Lavo on

"Ty Ford" <tyreeford(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:03:01 -0500, Tim Scott wrote
> (in article <53rpnnF1sv8vuU1(a)mid.individual.net>):
>

>> "Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only
>>> as
>>> good as the capsule.
>>
>> Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a winner in my
>> opinion.
>

> Compared to What?

Well, in my case, compared to the sound of the 9' Steinway I recorded in a
great-sounding room that I am extremely familiar with. Tried a few
different spacings..one or two of them caught the piano and room extremely
accurately, as monitored and later listened to over Koss Pro4aa headphones.
The recording was done 96/24 via a Presonus Firebox preamp directly into a
Shuttle DAW using Cubase LE. I didn't attempt to test noise floor as a
distance mic. Actually was/am leaving that for a later test of a 4.0
recording pattern.

So..no comparison to more expensive mics. But a good enough "capture" that
I am perfectly happy to take ownership.

From: Tim Scott on

"Ty Ford" <tyreeford(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:03:01 -0500, Tim Scott wrote
> (in article <53rpnnF1sv8vuU1(a)mid.individual.net>):
>

>> "Geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> Panasonic capsule in a XLR body. Innovative idea, but ultimately only
>>> as
>>> good as the capsule.
>>
>> Well, they sounded good, and are not a lot of money - a winner in my
>> opinion.
>

> Compared to What?

I admit to not A/Bing them, as the engineer with the band was busy doing his
soundchecks etc. Once mine arrive, I will be A/Bing them against our house
stock.
But I know how good the room is acoustically, and how good the system is -
they are both very good, and these mics certainly didn't sound to be letting
the side down.

From: Geoff on
Rv! wrote:

> The end result was a drumkit and guitar cabinet got mic'ed for a
> total cost of �20/$35. While very far from perfect, nobody complained
> about the sound, everybody on stage and FOH was happy. More importantly I
> got paid a good sum for
> assistance. :) A good side effect of using these "crappy" mics is that the
> whole PA
> was much less visible, and took less time to set up. All in a
> successful evening.

Glad they worked for you, but I would be a bit worried about max SPL and
overload in use with guitar amp, or drums.

geoff

From: Earl Grey on
Geoff wrote:
> Rv! wrote:
>> The end result was a drumkit and guitar cabinet got mic'ed for a
>> total cost of �20/$35. While very far from perfect, nobody complained
>> about the sound, everybody on stage and FOH was happy. More importantly I
>> got paid a good sum for
>> assistance. :) A good side effect of using these "crappy" mics is that the
>> whole PA
>> was much less visible, and took less time to set up. All in a
>> successful evening.
>

> Glad they worked for you, but I would be a bit worried about max SPL and
> overload in use with guitar amp, or drums.
>

> geoff

The headroom limitation with the cheap electrets is the internal FET.
The Shure SM91 and 98 which are the same capsule technology get used on
drums a lot, and they have a max of 155dB, so using an external fet mod
on a Panasonic WM61 would probably help.
The Niant max spl spec is quite a bit lower so I'd be interested to hear
of some experiences of close micing with them.
From: Bob Urz on

Geoff wrote:
> Rv! wrote:
>
>>The end result was a drumkit and guitar cabinet got mic'ed for a
>>total cost of �20/$35. While very far from perfect, nobody complained
>>about the sound, everybody on stage and FOH was happy. More importantly I
>>got paid a good sum for
>>assistance. :) A good side effect of using these "crappy" mics is that the
>>whole PA
>>was much less visible, and took less time to set up. All in a
>>successful evening.
>

> Glad they worked for you, but I would be a bit worried about max SPL and
> overload in use with guitar amp, or drums.
>

> geoff

Besides, there omni carts.
I do have a early SM91 with a dead cart that i might play with when i
get time.

Bob