From: Roger on
On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:18:04 GMT, "Rune Udd" <rune.udd(a)pp.inet.fi>
wrote:

>My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1 has
>disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
>strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program error
>and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
>(including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an amd
>athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.

Unfortunately, uninstalling in Windows does not get rid of all files.
It can take some real sleuthing to get rid of all references to a
program.

Also, it's important to remember that in windows erasing and even
formatting do not normally remove the program. They only remove the
pointers with formatting removing more than deleting. You can delete
a corrupted image, then reload that same image and find that it is
still corrupted. The same can happen with uninstalling and installing
programs. Be sure to reboot after uninstalling a program even if the
system doesn't tell you to do so. If you uninstall a program *always*
reboot before reinstalling the same program.

OTOH the problem may be a driver and finding which driver can be as
difficult as finding all the files. It could even be a disk problem.

There are several approaches. I'd go into the "Device Manager" and
check all the USB drivers as well as the bridge for proper operation.
If need be even go back to running the repair facility in XP. I'd
also make certain all references to the program are removed after
uninstalling and that includes the registry. Don't mess with the
registry unless you are familiar with working in there.

After uninstalling check the "Program Files" to make sure there is no
directory in there for Nikon Scan. Make certain it hasn't stashed a
configuration file somewhere else.

Be sure to run something Such as Norton's System Works to check
Windows for problems and to clean up. Get a good registry cleaner as
well.

>Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?

I'm using a 3.4 Gig, 64 Bit Athlon with one meg on board cache and 2
Gig of Dual 400 MHz DDR (think it's PC3400, but I may be off on that
number)

MB is an MSI K8N

I use both Nikon Scan and VueScan. Both have strong points and weak
points. I like them both.

Whether you have a hard ware, or soft ware problem then can be very
difficult to isolate in Windows and although XP Pro is quite stable,
it can get a bug up ...well, it can get a bit cantankerous at times.

Good Luck

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com