From: Rune Udd on
My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1 has
disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program error
and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
(including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an amd
athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.

Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?
cheers
Rune

From: CSM1 on
"Rune Udd" <rune.udd(a)pp.inet.fi> wrote in message
> My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1 has
> disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
> strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program error
> and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
> (including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an
> amd athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.
>
> Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?
> cheers
> Rune

I am not a fan of VueScan, but the trial version will tell you if the
scanner is broken.

VueScan as far as I understand does not use the Windows TWAIN or WIA, so
will work if the scanner and USB is working.

Maybe the following FAQ will help.
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=361&p_created=1034995210&p_sid=yDLMnaGh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTI1LDI3JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjI3JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1yZWdpc3RyeQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Long link above.
Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?S59D2302B

Run the software remove or uninstall. Either in the start menu for Nikon or
in Window Control Panel Add/Remove programs. Also remove the Nikon device in
Windows Device Manager.

Completely remove the Nikon software using the above FAQ. Then Reinstall and
see what happens.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

From: rafe bustin <rafe b at speakeasy dot on
On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:18:04 GMT, "Rune Udd" <rune.udd(a)pp.inet.fi>
wrote:

>My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1 has
>disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
>strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program error
>and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
>(including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an amd
>athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.
>
>Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?

The NikonScan installer/uninstaller doesn't do a thourough
enough job, and fails to kill some TMP and setup files in
the Documents and Settings directory tree.

Check the following directories and delete any files you
find there. Then restart NikonScan.

<C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nikon\Nikon
Scan\4.0\Settings>

<C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Nikon>

Alternatively, you can find these files with Explorer's
search tool.Search for "nkn". (Eg., Nkn4C.tmp, NKN00002.set, etc.)

I discovered this several moons ago. After removing and
reinstalling NikonScan, the scanner still "remembered"
the last filmstrip preview I had done!

In addition (if the above doesn't work,) use MSCONFIG to
disable all background tasks that you can live without.
It may be that one of these is interfering with NikonScan.

I mean, *something* must have changed on your computer.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Rune Udd on

"rafe bustin" <rafe b at speakeasy dot net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:18:04 GMT, "Rune Udd" <rune.udd(a)pp.inet.fi>
> wrote:
>
>>My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1 has
>>disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
>>strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program error
>>and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
>>(including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an
>>amd
>>athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.
>>
>>Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?
>

> The NikonScan installer/uninstaller doesn't do a thourough
> enough job, and fails to kill some TMP and setup files in
> the Documents and Settings directory tree.
>
> Check the following directories and delete any files you
> find there. Then restart NikonScan.
>
> <C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nikon\Nikon
> Scan\4.0\Settings>
>
> <C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Nikon>
>

> Alternatively, you can find these files with Explorer's
> search tool.Search for "nkn". (Eg., Nkn4C.tmp, NKN00002.set, etc.)
>
> I discovered this several moons ago. After removing and
> reinstalling NikonScan, the scanner still "remembered"
> the last filmstrip preview I had done!
>
> In addition (if the above doesn't work,) use MSCONFIG to
> disable all background tasks that you can live without.
> It may be that one of these is interfering with NikonScan.
>
> I mean, *something* must have changed on your computer.
>

> rafe b.
> http://www.terrapinphoto.com

I agree something must have happened. The problem is just what? The
previous week the scanner SW worked as usual, only thing I am aware of in
between is an automatic WindowsXP upgrade before this happened.

The Scanner is OK, it works fine with Nikon Scan 4.0.2 on my older (and much
slower) Windows 2000 computer.

No, I don't have any preview and thumbnail actions activated. I'm only
using individual slides or slide film strips, no negative at all.

I once more uninstalled Nikon scan, manually removed stuff from documents
and settings/all user... and didn't find any more nkn with the search
function. After restart and reinstallation of Nikon scan 4.0.0 and upg
4.0.2 : no change. Tool palette1 option has disappeared from the tools
menu. With film strip scanner the program stops after I insert a film strip,
with the individual slide adapter the program stops immediately : "Nikon
Scan Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
for the inconvenience". So am I .

I have send a problem report to Nikon, but I guess it has disappeared in a
black hole.

any more ideas?
Rune

From: John on

> "rafe bustin" <rafe b at speakeasy dot net> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:18:04 GMT, "Rune Udd" <rune.udd(a)pp.inet.fi>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>My Nikon scan 4.0.2 stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Tool palette 1
has
> >>disappeared, does not show up under tools submenu. When I insert a film
> >>strip in my coolscan 4000 ED, Nikon scan 4.0.2. generates a program
error
> >>and terminates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Nikon scan 4.0.2
> >>(including the 4.0.2 upgrade) several times, no help. My computer is an
> >>amd
> >>athlon64, WindowsXPpro+SP2, 1 Gb ram.
> >>
> >>Any advise or comments? Switch to Silver scan or vuescan?
> >

> > The NikonScan installer/uninstaller doesn't do a thourough
> > enough job, and fails to kill some TMP and setup files in
> > the Documents and Settings directory tree.
> >
> > Check the following directories and delete any files you
> > find there. Then restart NikonScan.
> >
> > <C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nikon\Nikon
> > Scan\4.0\Settings>
> >
> > <C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Nikon>
> >

> > Alternatively, you can find these files with Explorer's
> > search tool.Search for "nkn". (Eg., Nkn4C.tmp, NKN00002.set, etc.)
> >
> > I discovered this several moons ago. After removing and
> > reinstalling NikonScan, the scanner still "remembered"
> > the last filmstrip preview I had done!
> >
> > In addition (if the above doesn't work,) use MSCONFIG to
> > disable all background tasks that you can live without.
> > It may be that one of these is interfering with NikonScan.
> >
> > I mean, *something* must have changed on your computer.
> >

> > rafe b.
> > http://www.terrapinphoto.com
>

> I agree something must have happened. The problem is just what? The
> previous week the scanner SW worked as usual, only thing I am aware of in
> between is an automatic WindowsXP upgrade before this happened.

If you suspect that, why not try doing a system restore in XP to the point
before the automatic upgrade? That would prove the point at least.

--
John
Replace 'nospam' with 'todnet' when replying.