From: Alistair on
On Jul 19, 4:32 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <33db1847-821e-4370-b330-1a032bc73...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups..com>,
>

> Alistair  <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Jul 16, 1:49?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >> In article
> ><62c55b5c-d6dc-4089-b1fa-6ae4b3b74...(a)k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>
> >> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> [snip]

> >> Against your religion, I see... but if the laws of thermodynamics were
> >> strictly held to, in all spacetimes and at all timespaces, wouldn't life
> >> as we know it - a violation (temporary, but a violation nonetheless) of
> >> bits and pieces of Thermodynamic law - never have occurred?
>
> >I'm dreading seeing the explanation as to how life is a violation of
> >the laws of thermodynamics but I have to ask....how so?
>
> What follows, Mr Maclean, might not be 'the explanation' but more of 'an
> explanation'.
>
> Life, by definition, is an organising of particles; consider embryogenesis
> from haploid gametes to diploid zygote to morula to blastocyst (two
> primary cell cell types) and so on, through the Carnegie stages.  Each
> change is towards greater order, greater differentiation and growth, quite
> the opposite of entropy (a tendency towards disorder).
>
> DD- Hide quoted text -

My understanding of the ins and outs of Entropy is limited but I
understand that the application of that law to the non-chaotic
ordering of life-forms is in error as Entropy applies to limited
closed systems and not to the Universe as a whole (or any
insignificant small blue-green planet on the edge of a spiral arm of a
minor galaxy in the middle of nowhere). Regrettably, although I have
seen the explanation for this (Scientific American I think) I am
unable to repeat the proof. Sorry.
From: Alistair on
On Jul 19, 6:24 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <rd09465s2i337t38ur6n479ordjc0ov...(a)4ax.com>,
> Howard Brazee  <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> >>No doctor, good or otherwise, I... jes' ol' Doc and I am full of play and
> >>joyfulnesses!  I believe this deity-to-get-the-ball-rolling was addressed
> >>by Pierre-Simon Laplace's 'Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothesis' (or
> >>something like that, as dimly recalled from Kollidj Daze)
>
> >Maybe you're a doctor the same way the protagonist of Dr. Who is.
>
> I had to research that one... but no, I have never been proclaimed thus
> by a crew of scriptwriters.
>
> DD

Whoa! You had to research the great Dr. Who?! Where have you been the
last 50 years?
From: Alistair on
On Jul 19, 4:47 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:12:07 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
>
> <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Against your religion, I see... but if the laws of thermodynamics were
> >> strictly held to, in all spacetimes and at all timespaces, wouldn't life
> >> as we know it - a violation (temporary, but a violation nonetheless) of
> >> bits and pieces of Thermodynamic law - never have occurred?
>
> >> DD
>
> >I'm dreading seeing the explanation as to how life is a violation of
> >the laws of thermodynamics but I have to ask....how so?
>
> There are some Creationists who use the law of thermodynamics to show
> that things cannot become more ordered without a deity making them so.

Would those creationists be the same ones who quote science to support
their case when it suits them and yet they deny other sciences when it
doesn't suit them?

I saw a superb documentary about jellyfish yesterday. A scientist
described how he watched jellyfish hunting fish. Something that they
could not do as they clearly don't have eyes. Subsequent dissection
found the eyes and a controlling brain. Amazing how the deity created
eyes in jellyfish in order to satisfy the observation and musings of a
humble scientist.
From: Anonymous on
In article <a49ec6f8-084e-44e3-8179-26d0daa1c0a6(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Jul 19, 4:32?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
><33db1847-821e-4370-b330-1a032bc73...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> ><62c55b5c-d6dc-4089-b1fa-6ae4b3b74...(a)k39g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

>> >I'm dreading seeing the explanation as to how life is a violation of
>> >the laws of thermodynamics but I have to ask....how so?
>>
>> What follows, Mr Maclean, might not be 'the explanation' but more of 'an
>> explanation'.
>>
>> Life, by definition, is an organising of particles; consider embryogenesis
>> from haploid gametes to diploid zygote to morula to blastocyst (two
>> primary cell cell types) and so on, through the Carnegie stages. ?Each
>> change is towards greater order, greater differentiation and growth, quite
>> the opposite of entropy (a tendency towards disorder).
>
>My understanding of the ins and outs of Entropy is limited but I
>understand that the application of that law to the non-chaotic
>ordering of life-forms is in error as Entropy applies to limited
>closed systems and not to the Universe as a whole (or any
>insignificant small blue-green planet on the edge of a spiral arm of a
>minor galaxy in the middle of nowhere).

Note that the example given above, Mr Maclean, deals off with two haploid
gametes and a working uterus; this might appear to be more of a 'limited
closed system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc)'.

>Regrettably, although I have
>seen the explanation for this (Scientific American I think) I am
>unable to repeat the proof. Sorry.

No need to apologise, it can be considered as discarded due to lack of
substantiation.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <58814b9e-b2ed-48e9-8a91-b83db3ca1cd6(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Jul 19, 6:24?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <rd09465s2i337t38ur6n479ordjc0ov...(a)4ax.com>,
>> Howard Brazee ?<how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:

[snip]

>> >Maybe you're a doctor the same way the protagonist of Dr. Who is.
>>
>> I had to research that one... but no, I have never been proclaimed thus
>> by a crew of scriptwriters.
>
>Whoa! You had to research the great Dr. Who?! Where have you been the
>last 50 years?

Among other things... watching different television program(me)s, it
seems.

DD