From: Anonymous on
In article <2b3a0d9f-6230-425a-9feb-4ed666af2534(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Jul 20, 3:28?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
><58814b9e-b2ed-48e9-8a91-b83db3ca1...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> >Whoa! You had to research the great Dr. Who?! Where have you been the
>> >last 50 years?
>>
>> Among other things... watching different television program(me)s, it
>> seems.
>
>Don't forget the films. The last one bombed (although it was good) but
>you must have heard of the Daleks?

I read of the during the research I did for the preceding posting, Mr
Maclean, and beyond that have no exposure. I believe I've mentioned
previously that the talking-pictures I tend to watch are in
black-and-white and filled with dead people... oh, look, there's Eddie
Cantor!

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:23:20 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:

>I read of the during the research I did for the preceding posting, Mr
>Maclean, and beyond that have no exposure. I believe I've mentioned
>previously that the talking-pictures I tend to watch are in
>black-and-white and filled with dead people... oh, look, there's Eddie
>Cantor!

My son has his family big on Dr. Who, which is how I know about it.
When I was a teen, I knew all of the TV shows of the three networks,
but was in college by the time my local stations had that show, and I
have only seen scenes of the show while visiting others.

My DvD & Blu-ray library is maybe 1/3 B&W, with only a dozen or so
silent movies. I'm not sure whether I prefer movies to TV these
days because of the content - or because of some kind of control
issue. Sure I know I can buy stuff to let me watch the shows when I
want - but I don't *want* to feel a need to see this week's episode.
At any rate, I am very ignorant about popular culture.

- James Madison
From: Pete Dashwood on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article
> <4fb21569-66ed-457e-990d-1a24662782b4(a)x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
> Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Jul 20, 3:26?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <a49ec6f8-084e-44e3-8179-26d0daa1c...(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Note that the example given above, Mr Maclean, deals off with two
>>> haploid gametes and a working uterus; this might appear to be more
>>> of a 'limited closed system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc)'.
>>>

>> Hardly limited as those items garner nutrition from a wider
>> environment.

> Mr Dashwood, the description was not one of absolute limitation but of
> quality-of-limitedness (perhaps an inverse of 'richness of infity'); I
> believe that possibility might have been covered by the description
> above
> of 'a working uterus... might appear to be more of a 'limited closed
> system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc).'
>
> If you're trying to slip in a nigh-Buddhist 'all is connected'
> viewpoint
> then perhaps the well-gazed-at Navel Reserves might be called out.

Hey! Not guilty!

You are responding to the wrong poster. I had no problem with your previous
response.

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> Correction - in my response I erroneously addressed Mr Maclean as Mr
> Dashwood; this is mine own error and I offer apologies to all and
> sundry who might feel them necessary, appropriate or worthy of
> saving-and-trading.
>
> DD

Well your half-arsed apology is half-arsed accepted... :-)

Pete.

From: Anonymous on
In article <8apk63FvqvU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> Correction - in my response I erroneously addressed Mr Maclean as Mr
>> Dashwood; this is mine own error and I offer apologies to all and
>> sundry who might feel them necessary, appropriate or worthy of
>> saving-and-trading.
>
>Well your half-arsed apology is half-arsed accepted... :-)

Folks *do* speak such funny languages in The Antipodes... I might have
described my apology as half-slow, not half-fast.

DD