From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:31:29 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
<alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Would those creationists be the same ones who quote science to support
>their case when it suits them and yet they deny other sciences when it
>doesn't suit them?

Or who pick and choose which part of the Old Testament are still valid
(by comparing the scripture to what they already believe)?

- James Madison
From: Alistair on
On Jul 20, 3:26 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <a49ec6f8-084e-44e3-8179-26d0daa1c...(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
> >> What follows, Mr Maclean, might not be 'the explanation' but more of 'an
> >> explanation'.
>
> >> Life, by definition, is an organising of particles; consider embryogenesis
> >> from haploid gametes to diploid zygote to morula to blastocyst (two
> >> primary cell cell types) and so on, through the Carnegie stages. ?Each
> >> change is towards greater order, greater differentiation and growth, quite
> >> the opposite of entropy (a tendency towards disorder).
>
> >My understanding of the ins and outs of Entropy is limited but I
> >understand that the application of that law to the non-chaotic
> >ordering of life-forms is in error as Entropy applies to limited
> >closed systems and not to the Universe as a whole (or any
> >insignificant small blue-green planet on the edge of a spiral arm of a
> >minor galaxy in the middle of nowhere).
>
> Note that the example given above, Mr Maclean, deals off with two haploid
> gametes and a working uterus; this might appear to be more of a 'limited
> closed system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc)'.

Hardly limited as those items garner nutrition from a wider
environment.

> >Regrettably, although I have
> >seen the explanation for this (Scientific American I think) I am
> >unable to repeat the proof. Sorry.
>
> No need to apologise, it can be considered as discarded due to lack of
> substantiation.

But it doesn't stop you from researching the document.

From: Alistair on
On Jul 20, 3:28 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <58814b9e-b2ed-48e9-8a91-b83db3ca1...(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups..com>,
>
> Alistair  <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Jul 19, 6:24?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >> In article <rd09465s2i337t38ur6n479ordjc0ov...(a)4ax.com>,
> >> Howard Brazee ?<how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >> I had to research that one... but no, I have never been proclaimed thus
> >> by a crew of scriptwriters.
>
> >Whoa! You had to research the great Dr. Who?! Where have you been the
> >last 50 years?
>
> Among other things... watching different television program(me)s, it
> seems.
>
> DD

Don't forget the films. The last one bombed (although it was good) but
you must have heard of the Daleks?
From: Anonymous on
In article <4fb21569-66ed-457e-990d-1a24662782b4(a)x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Jul 20, 3:26?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article <a49ec6f8-084e-44e3-8179-26d0daa1c...(a)e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

>> >My understanding of the ins and outs of Entropy is limited but I
>> >understand that the application of that law to the non-chaotic
>> >ordering of life-forms is in error as Entropy applies to limited
>> >closed systems and not to the Universe as a whole (or any
>> >insignificant small blue-green planet on the edge of a spiral arm of a
>> >minor galaxy in the middle of nowhere).
>>
>> Note that the example given above, Mr Maclean, deals off with two haploid
>> gametes and a working uterus; this might appear to be more of a 'limited
>> closed system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc)'.
>>

>Hardly limited as those items garner nutrition from a wider
>environment.

Mr Dashwood, the description was not one of absolute limitation but of
quality-of-limitedness (perhaps an inverse of 'richness of infity'); I
believe that possibility might have been covered by the description above
of 'a working uterus... might appear to be more of a 'limited closed
system' than 'the Universe as a whole (etc).'

If you're trying to slip in a nigh-Buddhist 'all is connected' viewpoint
then perhaps the well-gazed-at Navel Reserves might be called out.

>> >Regrettably, although I have
>> >seen the explanation for this (Scientific American I think) I am
>> >unable to repeat the proof. Sorry.
>>
>> No need to apologise, it can be considered as discarded due to lack of
>> substantiation.
>>

>But it doesn't stop you from researching the document.

'The document'? What 'the document' (note the definite article) is
'Scientific American I think (sic)'?

DD

From: Anonymous on

Correction - in my response I erroneously addressed Mr Maclean as Mr
Dashwood; this is mine own error and I offer apologies to all and sundry
who might feel them necessary, appropriate or worthy of
saving-and-trading.

DD