From: Daave on
nurmi wrote:
> Thanks to all of you.
> I uninstalled MSE. I have uninsntalled MSE. The cause of my Problem
> was and is Norton System Works which includes Anti Virus. When
> Norton suddenly interfered with the smooth running of my PC because
> it demanded that I purchase a new AntiVirus Program for $59.00 I got
> mad and the rest got me into this mess. I did think of deleting the
> Virus Progr in the Registry, but it seems that it is part and parcel
> of System Works. I am almost illiterate when it comes to the finer
> points of this Science. The Removal Tool from Norton does not mention
> AntiVirus specifically or Norton SystemWorks 3. So before I go ahead
> and take a chance to make a bigger mess, I would like to hear what
> you have to suggest. Thank you! Nurmi

According to this page:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080828154508EN

"The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products,
Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. Before you
continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded
installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall.
If you have pcAnywhere or WinFAX, uninstall it using Add or Remove
Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool. Also, if you use ACT!
or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products."

I am not too familiar with Norton, but is is possible your version of
System Works (3) was from before 2003?

Perhaps you need this link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2007080716282639?Open&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid

Here's another:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001091013435207

According to this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22SystemWorks+3%22+site%3Asymantec.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

.... it sounds like SystemWorks 3 is for Macs!

From: Adnan on
On May 26, 8:32 am, "nurmi" <bo...(a)gmxs.de> wrote:
> I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while Norton
> Anti Virus Progr was still in residence.  The reason for doing that was my
> inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive any kind of help
> from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton would give up the game.
> Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is being hampered, and I feel
> helpless.
> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide. Contact
> your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the system administrator
> has to do to enable Setup.  The specific code is 0x7b at line 0 with two
> unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

AOA

GO on the symatec webiste and download the tools called RNAV and RNIS.
Using these tools u can completely clean your system from norton
antivirus
From: nurmi on
Norton Anti Virus is NO MORE. Thank you all for you generous use of your
time. What would us dilettantes do without the experts? Don't answer that
pls.
Nurmi

From: Daave on
YW.

Did you reinstall MSE?

From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-05-25 23:32, nurmi wrote:
> I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while Norton
> Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing that was my
> inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive any kind of help
> from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton would give up the game.
> Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is being hampered, and I feel
> helpless.
> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide. Contact
> your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the system administrator
> has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is 0x7b at line 0 with two
> unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

Symantec offers a free tool to uninstall all Symantec software,
including incompletely or incorrectly installed software. Search its
on-line help for info.