From: nurmi on
I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while Norton
Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing that was my
inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive any kind of help
from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton would give up the game.
Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is being hampered, and I feel
helpless.
I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide. Contact
your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the system administrator
has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is 0x7b at line 0 with two
unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

From: Bruce Hagen on

"nurmi" <bogus(a)gmxs.de> wrote in message
>I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while
>Norton Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing
>that was my inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive
>any kind of help from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton
>would give up the game. Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is
>being hampered, and I feel helpless.
> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide.
> Contact your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the system
> administrator has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is 0x7b at
> line 0 with two unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Joe on
On 5/25/2010 11:32 PM, nurmi wrote:
> I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while Norton
> Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing that was my
> inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to receive any kind of help
> from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge, Norton would give up the game.
> Now I am being pestered by Norton, the PC is being hampered, and I feel
> helpless.
> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide. Contact
> your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the system administrator
> has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is 0x7b at line 0 with two
> unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

The only way to get rid of Norton is to edit the registry.
From: Daave on
nurmi wrote:
> I installed the recently created Microsoft Security Essentials while
> Norton Anti Virus Progr was still in residence. The reason for doing
> that was my inability to delete the Norton Progr, inability to
> receive any kind of help from Norton and hoping once MS is in charge,
> Norton would give up the game. Now I am being pestered by Norton, the
> PC is being hampered, and I feel helpless.
> I get notices like: "Setup was unable to open information file hide.
> Contact your system administrator (ME). I have no idea what the
> system administrator has to do to enable Setup. The specific code is
> 0x7b at line 0 with two unrecognizable hiroglyphics.

Basically, you created a mess! The following should get you out of it:

1. Uninstall MSE. You never should have installed that while Norton was
running!

2. Run System Restore, going back to the date/time before you installed
MSE. Of course, Norton will interfere if you try to run SR in Normal
Mode. Therefore, you might as well do this in Safe Mode with Command
Prompt:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

3. Uninstall Norton. You need to use their special removal tool:

http://service1.symantec.com:80/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
(same link Bruce provided)

4. Reboot.

5. Reinstall MSE.

From: nurmi on
Thanks to all of you.
I uninstalled MSE. I have uninsntalled MSE. The cause of my Problem was
and is Norton System Works which includes Anti Virus. When Norton suddenly
interfered with the smooth running of my PC because it demanded that I
purchase a new AntiVirus Program for $59.00 I got mad and the rest got me
into this mess. I did think of deleting the Virus Progr in the Registry,
but it seems that it is part and parcel of System Works. I am almost
illiterate when it comes to the finer points of this Science. The Removal
Tool from Norton does not mention AntiVirus specifically or Norton
SystemWorks 3. So before I go ahead and take a chance to make a bigger mess,
I would like to hear what you have to suggest. Thank you! Nurmi