From: Paul Furman on
DanP wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
>
>>> To answer that properly you need to compare 2 lenses with different
>>> lens diameters _at_the_same_aperture_ (f number).
>>
>> You're using the wrong terminology. When you say lens diameter, I think
>> you mean maximum aperture.
>
> I am talking about lens diameter

Lens diameter doesn't necessarily mean anything, particularly for wide
angle lenses. Aperture or more specifically f/stop (factoring in focal
length) is the issue.

From: Peter on
"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

>>> I think it's because telescopes have very large focal lengths so the
>>> aperture needed to avoid diffraction becomes very large.
>>
>> I think that you're not making sense.
>
> What's wrong with the explanation? Take a 4 inch telescope (100mm
> aperture) with a focal length of 1000mm, that's f/10, hardly a fast lens.

Some people will argue for purposes other than sharing knowledge.

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:24:19 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in
<4bfc6aca$0$7705$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>:

>Some people will argue for purposes other than sharing knowledge.

Now there's an eye opener! LOL
From: Ray Fischer on
Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Paul Furman wrote:

>>> What's wrong with the explanation? Take a 4 inch telescope (100mm
>>> aperture) with a focal length of 1000mm, that's f/10, hardly a fast lens.
>>
>> <snip> The subject is resolution.
>
>You mean magnification?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution

Read. Learn. Stop asking stupid questions/

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 23 May, 22:59, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> DanP �<dan.pe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Because their optics are fixed
>>
>> Nope.
>
>You are right, land telescopes optics need focusing just like
>binoculars. But I had in mind astronomical telescopes.

So did I.

>> >and you want the biggest lens/mirror
>> >you can get.
>>
>> Because bigger means higher resolution.
>
>True only for telescopes and binoculars.

Did you think that the subject under discussion was elephants?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net