From: Peter on
"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message

> Tell me about it! I enjoy taking photos during twilight. I can't find
> information about light levels for my region so I have to guess when to
> set out on a trip. During most of the year I end up getting too cold
> before I've finished the shoot. I've had three successful trips during the
> last 12 months - I've learnt a lot and want to use that knowledge to take
> better shots in the future.

IMHO Pre sunrise and twolight are the best times. the difference being that
in the morning the light gets worse, after prime, whatever that is.

>> Ever hear of "The Land of the Midnight Sun"?
>
> Yes. For me, it would be very difficult to both get there and survive
> there, but I'd love to go.

Did that last summer. The running joke there is teenagers say to their
parents: "don't worry, I'll be home before dark."

--
Peter

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-08 13:48:04 +0100, David J Taylor said:

> "Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
> []
>> If you know of any software that would show me the twilight times, I'd
>> really appreciate it.
>
> My WXtrack includes all five definitions of sunrise/sunset:
>
> http://www.satsignal.eu/software/wxtrack.htm
>
> Use the View, Sunrise & Sunset menu.
>

>>> Ever hear of "The Land of the Midnight Sun"?
>>
>> Yes. For me, it would be very difficult to both get there and survive
>> there, but I'd love to go.
>
> If you prefer the Winter nights:
>
> http://www.satsignal.eu/Hols/2010/NorthernNorway/index.html

Thanks very much indeed, David.

I will try your WXtrack.

As for holidays, my current project is to get myself fit enough to
travel more than the 30 or 40 miles I can do at the moment. You have
helped me to "Think Big."

Cheers,
Pete

From: George Kerby on

On 6/7/10 8:50 PM, in article 87k0e7-bva.ln1(a)ID-52418.user.berlin.de,
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:

> George Kerby <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/5/10 7:20 AM, in article 62spd7-tk3.ln1(a)ID-52418.user.berlin.de,
>
>>> You can't see the stars during the day anyway.
>
>> Almost right: Only one.
>
> The sun is a star, but is not part of the collective "the stars"
> for the viewing location Earth.

That's like asking if infinity is farther than the moonies. Nice try!

From: DanP on
On 8 June, 02:53, Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgt...(a)sneakemail.com>
wrote:
> DanP <dan.pe...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> I guess you could do a thought experiment.
> >> If 2 lenses gather the same amount of parallel rays along
> >> their lens axis, they must have the same diameter.  Go from
> >> there.
> > Right, at maximum lens aperture bigger lenses gather more light.
> > Close the bigger lenses aperture to match the small ones and you get
> > the same amount of light.
>
> Please clarify, what exactly do you mean "to match the small
> ones"?  f/stop?  Diameter?  Area?  What exactly?
>
> -Wolfgang

f/stop.

Big lens: 42mm diameter, 50mm focal length, f/1.2 aperture.
Small lens: 18mm diameter, 50mm focal length, f/2.8 aperture.

Set them both to f/2.8 or smaller and you get the same light.

DanP
From: David J Taylor on
"Pete" <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote in message
[]
> Thanks very much indeed, David.
>
> I will try your WXtrack.
>
> As for holidays, my current project is to get myself fit enough to
> travel more than the 30 or 40 miles I can do at the moment. You have
> helped me to "Think Big."

The great thing about many ships today is that they are well equipped for
disabled folk - wheelchair access, lifts etc. etc. Not saying you have
that problem, but just for others to know.

Cheers,
David