From: J. Clarke on
On 6/15/2010 2:10 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> And I am trying to point out that a 200mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8 will
>> capture more light from a star than a 50mm f/2.8 lens at
>> f/2.8.
>>
>> It's patently obvious that a 200mm f/2.8 lens has a larger
>> diameter than a 50mm f/2.8 lens.
>>
>> -Wolfgang
>
> More light (photons) in a given period, when other things are similar.

I don't see Wolfgang's post, but it contains the usual misconception
about photographic vs astronomical imaging.

The 200 will "capture more light" in the sense that more light will
enter the lens. However for a given sensor size, a smaller proportion
of that light will strike the sensor. If you make adjustments so that
both cover the same field of view, for example by adding two 2x
teleconverters to the 50, _then_ the 200 will show its "greater light
gathering", and this will be reflected in the photographic formulae, as
at that point the 50/2.8 will be functioning as a 200/11.2.

Astronomers generally work with a magnified field to begin with--in
other words they almost always use some kind of teleconverter--so that
they are working at effective focal lengths longer than that of their
primary lens or mirror. In that situation, larger aperture always
results in a brighter image. Photographers, on the other hand, hardly
ever use a teleconverter these days, so effect of the diameter of their
lens is accurately reflected in the f/ratio.
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Remmy Martin <remmymartin(a)gooddrinksnotspam.net> wrote:

> Yes, I realize it is an exercise in futility in trying to educate you.
> But others reading this who have an IQ above 100 will be able to glean some
> knowledge from the above.

You belong to the IQ-below-70 group.
Plonk.

-Wolfgang
From: whisky-dave on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> And I am trying to point out that a 200mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8 will
>> capture more light from a star than a 50mm f/2.8 lens at
>> f/2.8.
>>
>> It's patently obvious that a 200mm f/2.8 lens has a larger
>> diameter than a 50mm f/2.8 lens.
>>
>> -Wolfgang
>
> More light (photons) in a given period, when other things are similar.

Well that makes sense, but I'd have thought it obvious.....
that 200mm f/2.8 lens would have a larger diameter than a 50mm f/2.8 lens.

But what would happen in a parallel universe where the laws of physics are
the same ? would the 200mm taste of strawberries while the 50mm taste like
chocolate.

From: Pete on
On 2010-06-16 13:49:07 +0100, whisky-dave said:

> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:hv75gj$aac$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>>> And I am trying to point out that a 200mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8 will
>>> capture more light from a star than a 50mm f/2.8 lens at
>>> f/2.8.
>>>
>>> It's patently obvious that a 200mm f/2.8 lens has a larger
>>> diameter than a 50mm f/2.8 lens.
>>>
>>> -Wolfgang
>>
>> More light (photons) in a given period, when other things are similar.
>
> Well that makes sense, but I'd have thought it obvious.....
> that 200mm f/2.8 lens would have a larger diameter than a 50mm f/2.8 lens.
>
> But what would happen in a parallel universe where the laws of physics
> are the same ? would the 200mm taste of strawberries while the 50mm
> taste like chocolate.

Other way around. Can't figure out what a tripod would taste like,
don't think I've eaten anything with three legs. Packaging in my
supermarket suggest some chickens have 12 legs, which is strange: if
they had then how come they got caught?

--
Pete

From: David J Taylor on
"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
[]
>> More light (photons) in a given period, when other things are similar.
>
> Well that makes sense, but I'd have thought it obvious.....
> that 200mm f/2.8 lens would have a larger diameter than a 50mm f/2.8
> lens.

Indeed, by definition of f/number.

What some people seem to be having difficulty with is that - given
nominally identical lenses but with everything scaled by four - is that
the light collected would be spread out over a larger area with the 200mm
lens, even though the number of photons per unit area would be the same,
and the implications of that.

Cheers,
David