From: whisky-dave on

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So there is no source of light with perfect parallel rays.
>
> So you try to deny that stars have perfect parallel rays for
> the purpose of telescopes and optical lenses on Earth.

No one heard of gravitational lensing ?

The light coming from any star will be shaped by any large object so I
can;t see how any light sources can be truly parallel to each other if they
are apart they will have differing gravitational attractions to the nearest
mass.

From: RichA on
On Jun 3, 5:49 am, "whisky-dave" <whisky-d...(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgt...(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message

> > DanP <dan.pe...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On 2 June, 02:00, Wolfgang Weisselberg <ozcvgt...(a)sneakemail.com>
>
> >> So there is no source of light with perfect parallel rays.
>
> > So you try to deny that stars have perfect parallel rays for
> > the purpose of telescopes and optical lenses on Earth.
>
> No one heard of gravitational lensing ?

There's never a mini black hole around when you need one.
From: Paul Furman on
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

> But with a well placed center pass ND lens you get perfect
> bokeh, see Sony's 135mm STF (Smooth Transition Focus) lens.

That's an interesting one I'd never heard of.
http://www.the135stf.net/index.html

Surprised I never heard of such a filter for screwing on the front.
Probably doesn't work as well unless it's nested inside at the correct
position.
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
whisky-dave <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>> DanP <dan.petre(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> So there is no source of light with perfect parallel rays.

>> So you try to deny that stars have perfect parallel rays for
>> the purpose of telescopes and optical lenses on Earth.

> No one heard of gravitational lensing ?

Sure, but Earth's diameter is too small to detect any differences from
parallel rays. You need Earth's orbit as a baseline to detect differences
for close stars.

-Wolfgang
From: whisky-dave on

> whisky-dave <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:

>>> So you try to deny that stars have perfect parallel rays for
>>> the purpose of telescopes and optical lenses on Earth.
>
>> No one heard of gravitational lensing ?
>
> Sure, but Earth's diameter is too small to detect any differences from
> parallel rays.

But trh sun isn't.

> You need Earth's orbit as a baseline to detect differences
> for close stars.

But the problem is how to you get two exactly parallel 'rays'.