From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

>I do have AVG antivirus, but I haven't made any changes to the options on
>that program since it was installed and I've never had file attachments
>cropping up in most (though not all) of my messages until the last four or
>five days.

That's irrelevant because usually AVG updates itself every single day and that
ABSOLUTELY changes the program. If one of those updates had a problem, then
it could do exactly what you've described.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: A Baffled User on
Hmmm... Well, maybe I'll try writing to AVG. In the meantime, I'll wait to
see if there is any difference between normal mode and safe mode.

Joan

From: Orland, Kathleen on
You can disable the email scanning services to see if that's the issue. Open
your services control panel and look for the AVG mail scanning service and
disable it. AVG will protest and tell you it's in error mode, but it will
still work and you can still update it. Since it's just a temporary test, it
shouldn't e an issue.

--

Kathleen Orland

From: A Baffled User on
I was just going to update my post. You suggested yesterday that I open OL
in safe mode, which I did. Today, for the first time in several days, my
regular e-mails arrived WITHOUT any attachments. So what does that tell us?
And what should I do now? I don't notice any difference in the general
functioning of OL in safe mode. Should I just keep it in that mode?

From: A Baffled User on
As I just posted to Kathleen Orland, running OL in safe mode has apparently
gotten rid of the freeloading file attachments. So maybe my problem is not
related to my antivirus program?

I suppose I should restart OL in non-safe mode to be sure.