From: Tom Willett on
You're problem may indeed be related to the anti-virus.
Safe mode loads Outlook without many of the customization files and add-ins
loaded. If Outlook works correctly in Safe mode, the problem is with one of
your add-ins or customization files.

"A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
: As I just posted to Kathleen Orland, running OL in safe mode has
apparently
: gotten rid of the freeloading file attachments. So maybe my problem is not
: related to my antivirus program?
:
: I suppose I should restart OL in non-safe mode to be sure.
:
: Joan
:
:
: "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" <tillman1952(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
: news:e6K4TRu6KHA.356(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
: > news:%23HT64St6KHA.4508(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
: >
: >>I do have AVG antivirus, but I haven't made any changes to the options
on
: >>that program since it was installed and I've never had file attachments
: >>cropping up in most (though not all) of my messages until the last four
or
: >>five days.
: >
: > That's irrelevant because usually AVG updates itself every single day
and
: > that ABSOLUTELY changes the program. If one of those updates had a
: > problem, then it could do exactly what you've described.
: > --
: > Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
:
:

From: Orland, Kathleen on
Did anyone ask exactly what the attachments were?

If running Outlook in safe mode removes the attachments, then you have a
case of something that integrates with Outlook that causes the problem. AVG
adds an attachment to every email to certify that it's been scanned. That
may be the attachment you're seeing. It may perhaps be another Outlook Add
in.

I would suggest that you disable your Add Ins, restart Outlook and add each
one back, testing in-between to see which one is the culprit.

--

Kathleen Orland

From: A Baffled User on
The attachments are not messages saying that the message in question has
been scanned for viruses. They contain EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT as the
messages themselves. So if the message contains weather-related information,
the attachment contains the exact same information.

I only have to add-ins, an OL Backup and a WOPR PlaceBar Customizer, both of
which have been present for years. Is there some reason why they would start
creating the kinds of file attachments I've described all of a sudden?

Thanks for your help, Kathleen!

Joan

From: Tom Willett on

: The attachments are not messages saying that the message in question has
: been scanned for viruses. They contain EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT as the
: messages themselves. So if the message contains weather-related
information,
: the attachment contains the exact same information.
:
: I only have to add-ins, an OL Backup and a WOPR PlaceBar Customizer, both
of
: which have been present for years.

You also have the anti-virus program scanning email!

From: Orland, Kathleen on
I would say it's likely your antivirus then. Windows updates, antivirus
updates, antivirus engine updates - nothing is static.

You can reinstall AVG and omit the email scanning portion or just disable
the email scanning service. I would test by disabling the email scanning
service. Go into Computer Management, you can either right-click on My
Computer or find it in the Control Panel (what it's called depends on your
O/S, look for something similar to Administrative Tools). Disable the
service, AVG will complain but it won't stop your ability to update your
virus definitions.

--

Kathleen Orland