From: A Baffled User on
Right, but it's presumably been scanning my e-mail for months if not years
and never started spawning file attachments that are duplicates of the
content of the e-mails until six days ago.

From: A Baffled User on
Thanks, Kathleen. First I'll take OL out of safe mode to see if the
attachments start recurring. If they don't come back, then maybe I'll just
cross my fingers and hope for the best...?

If they do, then I'll follow your instructions.

Ciao for now,
Joan

From: Tom Willett on
You don't understand. These issues with the A/V email scanning can pop up
out of nowhere. It's been this way for years.

You need to at least rule it out. Uninstall your A/V program. Reboot.
Install A/V program without the email scanning module. You are still
protected with the realtime scan. The email scanning is simply a marketing
tool.

: Right, but it's presumably been scanning my e-mail for months if not years
: and never started spawning file attachments that are duplicates of the
: content of the e-mails until six days ago.
:
: "Tom Willett" <tom(a)youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message
: news:evQ8n176KHA.3504(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: >
: > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
: > news:%23s6KVM76KHA.2220(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
: > : The attachments are not messages saying that the message in question
has
: > : been scanned for viruses. They contain EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT as the
: > : messages themselves. So if the message contains weather-related
: > information,
: > : the attachment contains the exact same information.
: > :

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> Right, but it's presumably been scanning my e-mail for months if not years
> and never started spawning file attachments that are duplicates of the
> content of the e-mails until six days ago.

Your AV program updates itself, probably silently, every day. That means it
can start behaving differently at any time and you'll never know it until it
causes problems. That's why the McAfee update of a couple of weeks ago killed
tens of thousands of PCs all over the world - they updated their AV program
and messed up with the detection strings, causing the program to quarantine
SVCHOST.EXE, an essential WIndows program, bringing all those machines down.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: A Baffled User on
Okay, I see. So my e-mails would still be scanned for nefarious content even
without the e-mail scanning module?

Note, however, that messages have been coming in today without any copycat
attachments even though I exited OL safe mode and restarted the program
normally last night. I'm thinking maybe I should just leave well enough
alone until the problem recurs. Does that seem reasonable?

Joan