From: A Baffled User on
Four or five days ago, e-mails I receive on a regular basis started arriving
in my box accompanied for the first time by .txt attachments containing the
precise content of the e-mail itself. The report I receive from my state
weather service every day, personal messages from friends, and commercial
messages, none of which has ever included a file attachment before, all have
started arriving with attachments. This is a waste of bandwith and space on
my hard drive. Is there a way to stop the file attachments from coming? I've
been opening each message and removing them, but what a pain! I've checked
all the options in OL (still using OL 2000, BTW, on Windows XP SP3) and
found nothing that will do the trick.

Thanks!

Joan

From: Orland, Kathleen on
If you open Outlook in safe mode, does this behaviour continue?

Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe
(note the space between outlook.exe and /safe)

--

Kathleen Orland

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"A Baffled User" <vze265vd(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

> Four or five days ago, e-mails I receive on a regular basis started arriving
> in my box accompanied for the first time by .txt attachments containing the
> precise content of the e-mail itself. The report I receive from my state
> weather service every day, personal messages from friends, and commercial
> messages, none of which has ever included a file attachment before, all have
> started arriving with attachments.

Do you scan incoming messages with an antivirus program? If so, the first
thing you should do to try to diagnose this problem is to uninstall your AV
program and reinstall it without the mail scanning feature. You want to
eliminate as many variables as possible. Scanning incoming mail can interfere
with Outlook's decoding of it. Also, start Outlook in safe mode (hold Ctrl
when you start it) and see if that makes a difference. If it does, you have
an add-in cauing the problem.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: A Baffled User on
I've just opened OL as you instructed and will report back once I've gotten
some new messages. I notice that when OL opened, there was no Preview pane
as there usually is. I assume that's a function of safe mode.

Joan

From: A Baffled User on
I do have AVG antivirus, but I haven't made any changes to the options on
that program since it was installed and I've never had file attachments
cropping up in most (though not all) of my messages until the last four or
five days.

Right now I've opened OL in safe mode, as both you and Kathleen Orland
suggested. Let's see if safe mode makes any difference. I might not really
be able to tell until tomorrow morning, when I get tomorrow's versions of
the messages that come in every day and that have suddenly sprouted file
attachments.

Thanks to both you and Kathleen!

Joan